These Almond Butter and Jam Muffins are the new weekend essential (ps- kids love them!)
I made these muffins last month just before we left for Oregon. I kept reading things like “…pack water and food. complete gridlock…”
(oh, sorry. just in case I’m confusing you, I’m referring to our trip to Oregon to see the solar eclipse)
Anywho, we needed supplies (translation- this was my opportunity to pack junk food). Of course, to balance out all the not-so-healthy snacks, I had to bring at least one homemade food. When it comes to road trips, muffins are one of the best things to pack and take along (assuming, of course, that you’re not planning on leaving them in a car when it’s 100 degrees outside).
In the past, it has been hit or miss with my muffins and my child. He would love them right out of the oven, but 10 minutes later and it’s like you just fed him dirt. I’ve never understood this, personally, but I’m the muffin lover in the house and always keep our freezer stocked with at least a bag of one kind or another.
Well, to my surprise, my child loved these. Even two days later, he happily chowed down on a muffin while drinking an apple juice (because coffee for the parents means apple juice for the kiddo). And, what makes no sense at all is that he doesn’t even like almond butter (or peanut butter- I know, how could he be my child?!).
But the kid loves his jam. He is a definite jam man.
So, my advice? Don’t skimp on the jam if you really love jam. I, on the other hand, love everything that went into these bad boys, so I loved every last part.
Almond Butter and Jam Muffins with Streusel Topping
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, or butter, melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, or honey
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds
- 2/3 cup creamy almond butter
- 27 tsp Raspberry Jam, or Strawberry Jam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 20 muffin tins with paper liners and spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the all-purpose flour, white whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate, large mixing bowl, whisk together the oil, honey or sugar, vanilla, buttermilk, greek yogurt, and eggs until smooth. Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and fold together until just combined.
- Gently fold the almond butter and chopped almonds into the batter and just barely mix (more swirling, less mixing).
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared muffin tins (my yield was 20 muffins) and use a small spoon or teaspoon to create an indent or well in the middle of the muffin, one at a time. Scoop a small bit of jam into each well (approx. 1 1/2 teaspoons each muffin).
- Prepare the streusel by combining the oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a medium mixing bowl. and the butter and use your fingers to mix the butter with the dry ingredients until fully combined and the mixture starts to clump together.
- Sprinkle the topping over each muffin and bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Are you also a muffin lover? You may enjoy these recipes-