It’s Tuesday. Is it just me or are Tuesdays after a long weekend worse than regular Mondays? Way worse, right? Although we had yesterday to “recover” from our family camping trip/road trip, I now have SEVEN clean loads of laundry to fold. I may have left for our little getaway with two loads cleaned, ready and waiting (in a pile) for me to get to, but in my hurry to get packed I ignored it.
Big mistake. The mountain of clothing is so massive it’s not even a mountain, it’s a mountain range.
Since the laundry can no longer be ignored, I knew dinner would have to be fast, easy and easy to clean. Casseroles are always great for fast, mid-week meals and usually come with lots of leftovers (my favorite!) I had a bunch of leftover homemade BBQ sauce sitting in the fridge and all the ingredients to make the perfect BBQ chicken pizza. For today, however, pizza would be too messy and too time-specific. I needed an alternative. Stuck on the idea of a casserole, I decided to throw all those yummy ingredients into a bowl with some quinoa and cauliflower rice and call it dinner.
The perfect dinner!
shhh, I snuck a small bowl for myself about 3 seconds after taking these photos. The rest of the fam will have to wait.
This BBQ chicken quinoa casserole has all the great flavors of BBQ chicken pizza, but is so much healthier thanks to the quinoa, black beans and smaller serving of cheese! I added cauliflower rice to get some extra veggies, but you can substitute with extra quinoa or just leave it out if you don’t have any available (learn how to make your own cauliflower rice here).
A big fan of toppings, I layered the top with a generous amount of fresh green and red onions, cilantro, corn, and, of course, more BBQ sauce!
I hope you all are having a great Tuesday and had a wonderful holiday weekend!
BBQ Chicken Quinoa Casserole
- 3 cups cooked quinoa - 1 cup uncooked
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts - cooked and shredded
- 1 cup shredded cheese - I used a mix of shredded pepper jack and mozzarella as that's what I had on hand
- 15 oz black beans - one 15 oz can, drained and rinsed
- 1.5 cups whole-kernel corn - canned or frozen (then thawed)
- 15 oz chopped tomatoes - one 15 oz can, drained
- 16 oz. cauliflower rice - make your own or buy premade
- 1/2 cup homemade BBQ sauce - or your favorite store bought
- 1/4 cup green onions - chopped
- salt + pepper
- BBQ Sauce
- Fresh cilantro
- Green onions
- Sour Cream
- Chipotle Ranch
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl mix together 3 cups cooked quinoa, shredded cooked chicken, cheese, black beans, corn, chopped tomatoes, cauliflower rice, bbq sauce and chopped green onions. Stir until combined and add additional bbq sauce if necessary.
- Transfer the quinoa mixture to a large baking dish and smooth the top with a large spatula. Bake at 375 degrees F for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until warmed through. Remove from oven and drizzle with additional bbq sauce, sour cream and sprinkle with fresh chopped red onion, green onion and cilantro.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)