It is bright and sunshiny here in Sacramento today. I haven’t seen a day with weather this beautiful in a long time. And despite what felt like endless days of rain and gloom these past few months, I’m starting to think it was worth it. We have naturally green grass, wildflowers in bloom and, most importantly, a little more water than we did last year.
So you may be wondering why I am posting about soup?
Well, to be honest, I made this soup several weeks ago; sometime during that series of storms that nearly washed away the Oroville Dam. I am still deep in my corned beef and cabbage leftovers, but thought we could all use a little more veggies in our life. Plus, I’m going to take a risk and say that we, over here in Northern California, are on our way to Spring. Fingers crossed (knock on wood).
While I am not anti-carb, I am pro veggies. I love veggies, you guys. OK, yes, I love carbs, too, but I would much rather save my carbs for a thick slice (or 3) of fresh sourdough bread smeared in butter. So, unless I’m sick with the flu and in major need of a classic bowl of chicken noodle soup, I will probably cut out the noodles if possible. But, thanks to zucchini and a wonderful little machine known as the spiralizer, I can now have my veggies AND noodles…minus the carbs.
This soup is perfect for anyone watching their carbs or, those of you like me who like to save your carbs for other things, like buttered bread. Either way, we’re all winners with this veggie and chicken filled soup. You can even make your life SUPER easy and skip the whole cooking and shredding chicken part and just buy a rotessiree chicken from the market.
Chicken and Vegetable Zoodle SoupPrint Recipe Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion - chopped
- 6 cloves garlic - minced
- 5 stalks celery - chopped
- 5 large carrots - chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley - + more for serving
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 medium zucchini - spiralized
- In a large pot or Dutch oven heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion and sautè for 3-4 minutes, or until translucent and just starting to soften. Stir in the minced garlic with the onion and sautè for 1 more minute.
- Add the chopped celery, carrots, salt, black pepper, Italian seasoning, and dried basil to the pot and mix well. Sautè everything together for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to high and add the fresh chopped parsley and low-sodium chicken broth. Bring to a boil and carefully add chicken breasts. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer, covered for approximately 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and chicken is fully cooked.
- Meanwhile spiralize your zucchini and set aside until ready to use.
- Once cooked, carefully remove chicken from the pot and add the zucchini. Shred the chicken and transfer back to the soup. Continue to cook soup for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Garnish with additional fresh chopped parsley, red chili flakes (and cheese 🙂