Give your breakfast a flavor boost with these easy Pepperoncini, Provolone and Egg Breakfast Sandwiches. They’re so good, you’ll want one for lunch and dinner, too!
I remember when my husband introduced me to peperoncini peppers over a decade ago. He ordered a sandwich from our favorite deli and requested extra pepperoncini. We had just started dating and I was horrified by his adventurous eating habits.
I mean, the man ate anything and everything.
I, on the other hand, was the opposite. I did not like to try new things. I was comfortable eating the same ten things on repeat and on this particular day I planned to eat a turkey sandwich on wheat with mayo, lettuce and tomato.
Nothing was going to get in-between me and my pre-approved 10 things.
Though that did end up my lunch, my husband (then boyfriend) refused to let me get away without trying a bite of his (peperoncini loaded) sandwich.
I put up a good fight, you guys. But we were newly dating and I wanted to impress him (or something).
Well, thank goodness for silly new young love, otherwise who knows if I would have ever found out the true awesomeness of the peperoncini. Not spicy at all, these pickled peppers add so much surprising flavor to any sandwich or dish!
After this day, I admit, I may have gone a little peperoncini crazy. We added peperoncini to homemade pizza, sausage and cheese sandwiches (my fav!), salads, scrambled eggs and, of course, all of our deli sandwiches.
Most importantly, however, I started to trust my husbands wild and crazy food adventures more and more. As a result, ten years later, the experimenting continues. This time, by me.
This weekend I decided it would be fun to spice up my breakfast game a little (figuratively, not literally) with breakfast sandwiches. Breakfast in my house is typically the least exciting meal of the day. I haven’t had enough coffee, Octavian wants all the attention and I’m not organized enough to make something other than a bagel or smoothie bowl.
Surely breakfast could be delicious, fast and EASY! I mean, it exists, right?!
You guys, this was the easiest (and most delicious) challenge ever! Just 20 minutes and simple ingredients later, breakfast the whole family will love is ready and on the table! Kids and Husbands will especially love it, as it has “Dude Food” written all over it.
And just in case you’re feeling a little skeptical about the peperoncini with the sandwich, my husbands words after he finished his sandwich, “Yep, the peperoncini totally make that sandwich”.
I couldn’t agree more.
Easy Pepperoncini, Provolone and Egg Breakfast SandwichPrint Recipe Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter - divided
- 1/8 lb Sliced pastrami
- 1/8 lb Sliced ham or roast pork
- 1 English muffin or favorite bread
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 slice Provolone cheese
- 1-2 eggs
- 3-4 Mezzetta Whole Golden Green Peperoncini - stem removed and sliced
- Preheat the broiler.
- Heat a large pan or cast iron skillet over medium high heat and add one tablespoon of butter. Brown the pastrami and sliced pork on both sides. As the meat browns, slice the English muffin in half and butter both sides with the remaining tablespoon of butter. Add desired amount of mustard to each side.
- Transfer browned meats to one half of the English muffin, 3-4 peperoncini and top with 1-2 slices of provolone cheese. Meanwhile, preheat a small skillet over medium high heat. When the skillet is hot and ready, add butter or oil and add 1-2 eggs, sunny side up. Reduce heat to medium low and continue to cook until the whites are opaque, but the yolks are still runny.
- As the eggs cook, heat both halves of the sandwich in the preheated oven just until the cheese is melted, approximately 3 minutes.
- Remove sandwich from the oven and transfer to a clean serving plate. Gently transfer cooked egg to the top of the sandwich, top with the other half of the English muffin and serve immediately!