It was sprinkling when I woke up this morning. Real life actual rain drops were falling from the sky. You guys, this is craziness- it’s September, I live in Sacramento and we’re in a drought. Even crazier, just two days ago it was 103 degrees and yesterday wasn’t far off. While I may not be quite ready to fully embrace the flavors of fall, I am enjoying the cooler temperatures. Park in the afternoon, runs with the dog before dinner and open windows? yes, yes and yes.
So, enough about the weather, let’s talk about eggs…and avocado (but seriously, you guys, rain?).
Just kidding, let’s first just have a quick chat about the classic deviled egg. I have always loved deviled eggs. Creamy, salty, mayo-ey deviled eggs. My mom would always make them when I was little for parties and I probably ate half the platter. I may be decades older, but nothing has changed- so just in case we’re ever at a party together and the appetizers disappear, I’m sorry. It’s not my fault.
Since I have little (translation: no) self control around finger foods (especially after half a drink), I wanted to try a twist on one of my favorites- the deviled egg. First things first, instead of heaps of mayonnaise, there would be avocado. As mentioned in previous posts, avocado is super duper good for you. Avocado mixed with eggs- well, they’re like the perfect omega-3, protein packed party food.
But, I wanted them to be even healthier. They needed some vegetables…
Red onion, bell pepper, tomato and cilantro chopped into tiny bits and mixed with the creamy avocado good stuff.
You can always hard-boil your own eggs for this recipe using a tutorial like this one, or buy store-bought hard-boiled eggs. Confession- I just bought them already hard-boiled and peeled because, well, I am the worst at cooking hard-boiled eggs.
- 6 large eggs - hard boiled
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon mayo
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 3 tablespoons red onion - finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons orange - red or yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 serrano pepper - finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro - chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato - diced
- salt + pepper - to taste
- Peel the cooked deviled eggs and cut each egg in half horizontally. Carefully pop/scoop out yolks and place in a medium sized mixing bowl. Add avocado, mayo and lime juice. Mash and mix well. Stir in chopped veggies and mix everything together. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Carefully scoop a heaping tablespoon into each halved egg. Garnish with freshly cracked black pepper or a little pinch of chili powder if desired.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.