Happy Valentine’s Day, friends!
Sadly, no heart shaped pancakes or eggs here on the blog this afternoon. To be honest, it’s a miracle I got my you-know-what together enough to send my child off to school with little goodie bags for all his friends (all 27 of them). I nearly skipped the trip to Walmart yesterday. My excuse, I thought, was pretty legit: He’s only three! But then I talked to my mom on the phone, and well, mom guilt. So this morning was a a mad rush to get the cards signed (of course, Octavian just wanted to cut them up), tie the bags together and keep the 3-year-old away from the candy.
I did make him banana pancakes (from a box and not in the shape of a heart), but now that I think about it, I don’t think I recall seeing him take a bite.
He wanted waffles.
Basically, motherhood, in a nutshell.
Anyway, since the rain is coming, so comes the soup. I made this soup a couple weeks ago and it’s a keeper. Loaded with healthy veggies, like parsnips, my husbands favorite, it’s kinda like chicken noodle soup, but with lots of lemon and no noodles. Instead of a grain or noodles, I added…cauliflower rice! My favorite! Ok sure, in the case of soup cauliflower rice is nothing like noodles, but that does not make it any less delicious. Besides, I can never miss an opportunity to add more veggies!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 4 parsnips chopped
- 5 stalks celery chopped
- 5 large carrots chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 7 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small cauliflower riced
- 1 lemon thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill chopped
- Heat a large Dutch oven or stock pot over medium high heat. Add olive oil and chopped onion and stir to mix. Allow onions to cook for 2-3 minutes, or until translucent. Stir occasionally.
- Add the chopped parsnips, celery and carrots to the onions and mix well. Reduce heat to medium, and sauté vegetables for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the minced garlic to the vegetables and cook for approximately 1 minute before adding the salt, black pepper, dried oregano, dried parsley, Italian seasoning and lemon juice to the pot. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Return heat to high and add the chicken broth to the pot. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling add the boneless skinless chicken breasts to the pot, making sure they are fully submerged in the broth. Reduce heat to medium low and cover. Continue to cook for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, remove chicken breasts from the pot and carefully shred with a fork (they will be super hot!). Add cauliflower rice to the pot. Return the shredded meat to the pot and continue to cook for an additional 10 minutes, or until vegetables are fully cooked. Season to taste.
- Garnish with fresh sliced lime, chopped parsley and chopped dill, if desired (a little shredded cheese is also very good).