I should be folding laundry right now. The 5 massive loads of clean laundry that have been trampled over and chewed on are literally a towering mountain in front of me because I just can’t bring myself to fold that first shirt. I just caaaaaan’t. What’s super annoying is I don’t even mind folding laundry. I actually kinda like it. It gives me a sense of calm in the tornado that is my life (small exaggeration).
But here’s the thing about laundry, it never ends. It is NEVER ending.
So, here I am- butt planted to the couch, catching up on Grey’s Anatomy and chatting with you guys.
Umm, this is way better. So, the mountain? I can’t; at least not until I’m done chatting with you (or Octavian wakes up).
Fast forward 6 hours…
My child must have known I was talking about him because he woke up just as I finished the last sentence. Not much has changed in the past 6 hours. My butt is back on the couch, the mountain is still in front of me (now with one more load added to the top), Octavian is fighting sleep upstairs with my husband (sleep regression at 2.5 years old? more on this a different day) and I’m back to chatting with you guys!
I know WILD Friday night.
Anywayyyy, since Octavian loves meat, I’m always on the lookout for ways to expose his itty bitty little tastebuds to new tastes and flavors. Oh! and major bonus points if it includes minimal salt; my dear son is just like his mama and loves salty foods.
This oven roasted citrus chicken is low in salt (unless you decide to add more), but super tasty. Marinated in a mix of sweet pomegranate molasses and ground allspice and topped with sweet oranges and sour lemons, this chicken is bursting with all kinds of goodness. To really make this chicken shine, however, leave the skin on. You can thank me later.
Oh, and if you’re wondering, Octavian went crazy for it. Actually, I think he ate more than me and that’s not always an easy thing to do.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup Pomegranate Molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- salt + pepper
- 6 chicken legs (or a combination of your favorite chicken pieces. Skin-on is recommended)
- 2 skin-on chicken thighs
- 2 skin-on chicken breasts
- 2 cara cara oranges sliced 1/4" thick
- 2 blood oranges sliced 1/4" thick
- 1 large lemon sliced 1/4 " thick
- Fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. Line two baking sheets (with sides) with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Whisk together the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside. If you have the time, marinade the chicken in a large zip-lock bag using half the marinade for as long as possible (up to 12 hours or overnight).
- When ready to bake the chicken, take the parchment lined baking sheets and set down a couple pieces of sliced fruit. Lay out your chicken pieces, making sure not to crowd the pan (I used two pans).
- If chicken was not marinated, brush each piece of chicken with marinade mixture and arrange slices of citrus around the chicken. Before placing in the oven, sprinkle chicken and citrus slices with salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
- Roast for approximately 35 minutes, basting the chicken 1-2 times in the middle of cooking with more sauce.
- Serve with fresh thyme.
Recipe adapted by The View From Great Island