Out of nowhere last week I was bitten by the baking bug. I am new to baking. Until now, I would usually just stick to the box stuff (gasp!) when ice cream and peanut butter cups didn’t do the trick. But with the holidays coming up, I need to stop being so lazy and learn how to bake some stuff. Halloween has been the perfect inspiration. I mean, have you guys been in Target lately?! The Halloween section practically shoves chocolate down your throat. No seriously, I went into the store for parchment paper and overnight diapers and walked out spending $219.01. I have no idea what I even bought.
Somewhere between Halloweenland and toddler clothes I must have decided to make cookies because bags and bags of orange and semi-sweet chocolate chip morsels ended up in my cart. I’m thinking, good choice. Who doesn’t love cookies? Aside from cake, cookies are my favorite. Especially cookies that are big and soft and sweet and served with a glass of cold milk. Or, even better, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
I decided to make peanut better cookies because peanut butter always tastes good. Plus, I wanted one that would be soft and chewy. Unlike some peanut butter cookie recipes, these throw in some rolled oats which adds a little texture to this sweet treat. Plus, I always love to see one healthy ingredient in the food I bake. Most important, they are super easy to make and taste even better. I will definitely be baking these again!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Halloween CookiesPrint Recipe Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2.25 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter - softened (confession: I used salted butter because that's what I had on hand, but I know cookies generally call for unsalted butter. They tasted great)
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar - packe
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 10 oz semi-sweet chocolate and orange colored morsels - more if you really love chocolate!
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, peanut butter, sugar and brown sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Slowly add dry ingredients, and beat until just combined. Don't over-beat.
- Stir in oats and 1/2 of your chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate dough for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place remaining chocolate chips into a flat bowl.
- Using a large cookie scoop, spoon, or your hand, scoop approx. 2 tablespoons cookie dough into your palm and roll into a ball (you'll want clean hands for this). Press ball of dough into chocolate chips and transfer onto baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until edges are just beginning to brown.
- Important: Allow to cool on cookie sheet for 5-10 minutes before transferring to cooling rack!
- Allow to cool on wire rack for 30 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Adapted from THIS recipe.