This Peanut Butter Chocolate Milkshake was sponsored by ZonePerfect®, but all opinions are my own.
Healthy enough to eat for breakfast, but sweet enough to enjoy as dessert, everyone will be asking about the secret ingredient in this delicious and protein-packed Peanut Butter Chocolate ZonePerfect Nutrition Bar Milkshake.
Well hello! And happy (almost) New Year!
With a brand new year upon us, it’s time for a fresh start. I know, I know. But don’t worry, you guys, if I can do it, you can do it, too. After all, I am a self-proclaimed cookie and pizza addict.
So what am I talking about exactly?
Baby steps to better health (aka- little changes that will help you feel better without feeling like you’re doing much at all).
For me personally, the first part of my day that needs a little reevaluation is breakfast and, most definitely, dessert. The past several months I have gotten in the habit of eating whatever my 4-year-old eats for breakfast. Far from being a perfect mother and having given birth to an extremely picky eater (I still have no idea how this happened), my son often eats frozen waffles, french toast or bagels with cream cheese for breakfast. All very typical 4-year-old breakfast foods and, considering my child’s lack of enthusiasm for carbs, I’m happy to see him chow down on anything other than meat every once in a while. But for this carb lovin’ mama, I’m often left asking-
Where’s the protein?
Oh yeah. There is none.
As someone who often falls prey to snacking, I need to fill up on more nutritious, protein-packed breakfasts.
- First, and most important, it has to taste good. I don’t believe in consuming calories if it doesn’t taste good going down. Life is too short. Fortunately, some of the tastiest foods out there are also the most nutritious.
- It needs to be easy…like really really easy.
- Along with easy, it also needs to be fast. Weekdays are crazy and busy and I don’t have time to fuss around with a breakfast that takes too long (or too many dishes).
- There needs to be protein. Lots of protein.
- Bonus points if I can take it on the go.
So I started thinking about protein shakes and powders and supplements and all that stuff and it was all just too much. Sure, I wanted more protein in the morning (or evening time) to help keep me feeling full, longer, but I didn’t want to take it that far.
Always a huge fan of nutrition bars, particularly ZonePerfect Nutrition Bars as they definitely taste the best (totally fitting given their “Great Taste Guarantee”), I decided one morning to toss one in the blender and make a milkshake.
At the time I had just bought a box of ZonePerfect Chocolate Peanut Butter Nutrition Bars from Walmart (they’re in the Pharmacy section btw) and figured it would be pretty impossible for the milkshake to taste bad since the bars taste so awesome. Playing on the flavors of the bar, I added an extra teaspoon of peanut butter, some cocoa powder and pumped up the protein with milk (it is a milkshake, after all) and plain fat-free yogurt.
You guys, this was the most amazing Peanut Butter Chocolate Milkshake ever! Throw in a handful of ice and a frozen banana and you will never know that you didn’t make it with real ice cream.
If peanut butter and banana aren’t your jam, I highly recommend the ZonePerfect Chocolate Mint Nutrition Bar mixed together with milk, yogurt, cocoa powder, and ice.
Just do it. Seriously, for breakfast or dessert, these protein-packed milkshakes are my new stay-full, longer, favorite.
If Peanut Butter and Chocolate Milkshake just aren’t you’re thing (it’s ok, we can still be friends), each bar alone contains-
- Anywhere from 10-15 grams of protein depending on the flavor!
- Up to 19 vitamins and minerals (depending on the flavor)!
- No artificial flavors or sweeteners. Yes, you read that last part correctly!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE FORKED SPOON NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
Peanut Butter, Banana, and Chocolate ZonePerfect Nutrition Bar Milkshake
- 1 cup milk of choice, soy, almond, cow, coconut
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp peanut butter
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 banana, frozen
- 1 ZonePerfect Nutrition Bar, (I used Chocolate Peanut Butter)
- 1 handful ice
- 1. Place all ingredients in the bowl of a high-speed blender and process until smooth and creamy, approximately 2 minutes.