I realized the other day that I am WAY behind in the pumpkin department this year. While everyone is picking out pumpkins, decorating pumpkins and eating pumpkins, I’m still over here eating shrimp and salads and pretending it’s summer.
And Halloween? Let’s not even talk about costumes. Nope, that’s a lie, let’s talk about costumes.
The only one who has a costume is the dog. THE DOG. Octavian still has no idea what Halloween means except that he gets to walk around the street with an awesome pink sparkly pumpkin and basically demand candy. Playing dress-up for my child is still way over his head. It would be easier if he knew who the ninja turtles were or some kind of super hero, but…no.
I am prepared for the trick-or-treaters, though. I managed to get the food part of Halloween covered months ago. I’m interested to see the kiddos reaction when I hand them healthy, all-natural Fig Bars instead of chocolate. Hey! They’re fun size! And, it’s better than the alternative- I seriously considered handing out bananas or toothbrushes.
Yes, I am THAT annoying Mom. But really, you guys, do our kids need anymore sugar? (so says the hypocritical dessert loving buzz kill who will probably just eat all the candy >>> I’m talking about myself; just in case this sad self revelation of mine wasn’t obvious)
Since we’re on the topic of delicious, amazing sugary goodness, and pumpkin and Halloween, then OH BOY! do I have something for you guys today!
Pumpkin Churro French Toast Sticks with Pumpkin Spice Icing…
Buttery, sweet and full of all the flavors of Fall, this festive twist on French toast (my personal fav) will make all the kiddos in your life very very happy (and not just kiddos, the grown ups, too!) They’re my new favorite special occasion brunch treat.
And I have a confession- they’re just as delicious leftover. I may have even developed a habit of popping one in my mouth every time I opened the refrigerator. Needless to say, the leftovers didn’t last long. When we got down to the last few sticks, my husband and I were practically fighting over who would get the last ones.
I won 🙂
Eat them with a scoop of ice cream? Well, now we’re speaking the same language. And, let’s just note, I would happily skip all the Halloween candy any day of the week for these yummy pumpkin sugar sticks with ice cream.
Pumpkin Churro French Toast Sticks with Pumpkin Spice IcingPrint Recipe Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
For the French Toast Sticks:
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup pumpkin spice creamer - or creamer + 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin - not pumpkin pie filling
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pound Brioche bread - sliced into 1-inch thick pieces (Texas toast or other similar white bread would work also)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the Pumpkin Spice Icing:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin spice creamer
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, pumpkin spice creamer, vanilla, brown sugar, pureed pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice and ground cinnamon. Set aside.
- Cut the Brioche bread into 1-inch thick sticks- I cut off the crust, but given the nature of Brioche bread and how soft it is, I don't think anyone would notice if you left it on. That said, it's totally up to you.
- In a small bowl, carefully combine the 1/2 cup granulated sugar and ground cinnamon. Transfer to a plate for later use.
- With everything prepared, heat a large skillet over medium high heat and melt 1-2 tablespoons of butter (or enough to generously coat your skillet).
- Gently place 4-5 bread sticks into the batter, making sure they are fully coated. Carefully transfer each stick to the skillet, cooking on all four sides for approximately 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Remove french toast sticks from your skillet and immediately roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture to coat. Repeat this process in batches until all of your bread sticks have been dipped, cooked and coated in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- To make the Pumpkin Spice Icing- In a small bowl whisk together powdered sugar and pumpkin spice creamer until desired consistency is reached (add more creamer or powdered sugar as needed).
- Serve French Toast immediately drizzled with pumpkin spice icing, maple syrup or as is.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)