I made this breakfast skillet waaaaayyyy back in July when I first started blogging again.
I was reviewing the photos I had taken and with each passing frame my (very) type A personality screamed, DO NOT POST THOSE PHOTOS!
So, I turned my computer screen to my husband, showed him a photo and asked him if the dinner he had just eaten looked appetizing.
“Nope,” he said, “but it was so good, who cares about the pictures?” Everything, dear husband, EVERYTHING.
Why? Well because photos are the first impression of a dish and, ultimately, the first impression of my blog (and me). Plus, I’m a perfectionist. So, these photos have been sitting in a folder on my desktop for over a month collecting imaginary computer dust. I could retake the photos, but it’s Friday (yayy!) and after a very long two weeks, I’ve decided to quiet my type A voice for the day.
So, you guys, just trust me on this one- this breakfast skillet is GOOOOD. Like, good good. I mean, c’mon, sausage, cheese, eggs and potatoes…
This post didn’t even need any photos.
Sausage, Potato + Egg Skillet with OnionPrint Recipe Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
- 1 lb. ground sweet Italian sausage
- 1 large yellow onion - diced
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 4 medium potatoes - chopped into small cubes
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder - more if you like more heat
- 1 cup cheddar cheese - shredded
- 2/3 cup green onions - chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium high heat, brown your sausage for approximately 4-5 minutes. Stir in the diced onion and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until onions turn translucent and start to turn soft. Stir in the garlic and potatoes and continue to cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Level the surface with your spatula.
- Meanwhile, while the meat and potatoes are cooking, beat the eggs, milk, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper in a separate bowl. Pour over the leveled meat and potato mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and the fresh green onions.
- Place in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until eggs are cooked through. Using an oven mitt, carefully remove from the oven and serve immediately.