It’s no secret that I love dessert. So when I really wanted chocolate brownies one night AND chocolate chip cookies, I realized I had two options- choose one or make both.
The decision was obvious. Make both.
I knew I would probably eat more if I made the cookies and brownies separate from each other, so I made myself feel better about the whole thing by just baking them together in the same dish. Plus, somewhere deep in my subconscious, I must have known I would eat it with ice cream, because I did.
You can make this easy and fun dessert using your favorite homemade chocolate chip and brownie recipe, or if you’re short on time or just don’t feel like dealing with the extra dishes (hey, it happens!), you can always use your favorite mixes and premade cookie dough.
Cooking times for this amazing gooey dessert varies depending on how completely cooked you prefer your brownies. Having made this several times, I can say it’s delicious either way; my husband, however, is clear that he prefers it undercooked, so that’s how you will usually find the brownies at my house (ok by me since that means I get to eat them faster). If you prefer a less gooey brownie, you may need to cover your dish with foil to prevent the cookies from burning; so, as a tip, keep a close eye on them after approximately 20-25 minutes in the oven.
Anyway, it’s Monday and all this talk of gooey chocolate brownies and buttery cookies is making me hungry. Please excuse me while I go bake up a pan of these no compromise cookies 🙂
Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Brownie BarsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
For the Cookies:
- Line the bottom and sides of an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish with parchment paper or aluminum foil, leaving an overhang on each side (this extra step is tedious, but makes removal of your chocolate chip cookie brownies super easy). If you eat your bars with a fork right out of the baking dish (guilty), you can skip the paper or foil and just spray your pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
For the Brownies:
- In a large bowl whisk together the melted butter, cocoa and sugar until fully combined. Mix in eggs, one at a time, stirring after each addition. Add vanilla and mix. Using a rubber spatula, gently mix in 3/4 cup flour and salt until flour is just combined (being careful not to overmix). In a small bowl, mix remaining 1 Tablespoon flour with chocolate chips and fold into brownie batter.
For the Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- Using an electric mixing (standing or hand-held) cream together the butter and the sugars until light and fluffy. Add the egg and the vanilla and continue to mix again until smooth. Add the flour, baking soda and salt and gently mix until combined. Stir in chocolate chips and place the bowl in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- In your prepared pan, carefully pour in brownie batter. Scatter large chunks of cookie dough randomly over the top of the brownie batter (you may not have enough room for all the cookie dough. That's ok, you can freeze it for later use).
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until cooked through (less time for gooey brownies). If cookies start to brown, cover pan with a sheet of foil and continue to cook until brownies have finished cooking. Remove from oven and allow pan to rest for 10-15 minutes before cutting into squares.