If any Monday has felt like a Monday it has been this one. My toddler must be feeling it too because thanks to my sweet, adorable, imaginative child who opened his eyes this morning and declared “Mama! Today we are Crocodiles! I’m gonna eat you!”, we were asked to leave the gym because he just will not listen. This exercise obsessed Mama didn’t get her running endorphins in and I am feeling it.
He couldn’t find his other mini Elmo book and entered into panic mode when I couldn’t find it either- that was a lie, I knew where it was. Goodwill. I told him Mommy gave it to other little boys and girls who didn’t have any books to read and he said, “I’m gonna hit them”.
After explaining for the millionth time that hitting is not cool, I finally got my baby crocodile up to his bed. After some wrangling, the beast fell asleep.
And so did I.
Yep. It must be Monday.
At least there’s this salad bowl…
Southwestern Chicken Salad Bowl with Brown Rice + GuacamolePrint Recipe Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
For the chicken:
For the salad:
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 4 cups lettuce - chopped (use your fav)
- 1 cup purple cabbage - shredded
- Fresh cilantro - chopped
- Fresh green onions - chopped
- 10 ounces cherry tomatoes - halved
- 1 red bell pepper - seeded and chopped
- 1 cup black beans - drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn - cooked
- Fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup Mango Guacamole
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all of the marinade ingredients- the olive oil, chili powder, cayenne pepper, chipotle powder, salt + pepper and fresh lime juice with zest. Transfer to a large shallow dish or large ziplock bag and add chicken breasts. Gently coat each chicken breast with the marinade. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to overnight.
- While chicken is marinating prepare the mango guacamole and chop the veggies for the salad. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat a large grill pan / skillet over medium-high heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade and add to the pan. Sear the chicken until it is cooked through completely, approximately 5-6 minutes each side. Remove from pan and allow chicken to cool for a few minutes before slicing.
- Build your salad bowl- start with rice and top with your favorite lettuce and other greens, followed by bell pepper, tomatoes, black beans, corn, fresh lime juice, bbq sauce and, of course, a big scoop of Mango Guacamole. Top with your sliced chicken and a few crumbled tortilla chips and you've got yourself dinner 🙂