Since temperatures have crossed over into the 100s the past few days, I decided to have one last summer HOORAH before I officially dive into pots of hot, steamy soup and pumpkin spice everything. Although I look forward to the comforts of fall and winter flavors all year long, I have grown quite accustomed to my ginormous bowl of fresh fruit for lunch.
The would have been a day, just a few years ago, when I would have turned my nose up at a recipe like this- like this, meaning, a combination of mixed fruits with cilantro AND shrimp all wrapped in a tortilla.
How could a taco like that possibly taste good?
It’s like a slice of the Caribbean- at least that’s where I’m off to when I take a bite. Everything about these tacos- the fresh fruit, fresh shrimp, and refreshing crema- speaks the language of golden sandy beaches, turquoise blue water and cold drinks with umbrellas.
Spicy Shrimp Tacos with Mango Watermelon Salsa and Cilantro Lime CremaPrint Recipe Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
For the Shrimp:
For the Cilantro Lime Crema:
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + more to taste
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 lime zested
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1 large bunch cilantro - stems removed and finely chopped
- First prepare the Mango, Watermelon and Corn Salsa. Cover and set aside or place in the refrigerator to keep fresh.
- In the bowl of a large food processor, add all ingredients for the cilantro lime crema except for the cilantro. Process until smooth and creamy. Add cilantro to the bowl and pulse just until the cilantro is fully incorporated. Season to taste, mixing in any additions by hand.
- Prepare the shrimp. In a large bowl whisk together the olive oil, minced garlic, chili powder, onion powder, salt and lime juice and zest. Add shrimp and toss to coat. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add remaining olive oil. When skillet is hot add the shrimp in a single layer and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until bottom side is pink. Carefully mix the shrimp and continue to cook until the flesh of the shrimp is completely pink and opaque, without any grey parts.
- Build your tacos!