Currently on the phone with Squaretrade because Octavian’s toy weed trimmer and hedge trimmer (they are VERY different things just in case you didn’t know) broke and I’m trying to cash in on the insurance I purchased for these bad boys. Sometimes phone operators are so horrible I’d rather chuck my phone across the room and bang my head into a wall than spend 10 minutes on the phone with them. But this guy? This guy is awesome. This guy means business. Plus, I have never heard someone speak so fast in my entire life. Serious skills. He will definitely be getting 5 stars from me.
Does anyone else out there have a child totally and completely obsessed with landscapers? Octavian is, let’s just say, on a whole separate level of obsessed and it is imperative that he have working equipment, otherwise everyone suffers.
You guys, don’t let the lack of meat or heavy sauce scare you away. Even if you have never tried tempeh or veggie tacos, I’m pretty sure you’ll love these. So, aside from having tempeh, what are in these? Everything and anything. No seriously, they were my refrigerator clean out taco experiment that turned out AMAZING. Everything you could possibly want is in them. Creamy avocado, tangy cranberries, sweet mandarins, crunchy water chestnuts, fresh greens, nutty tempeh and bold cheese.
YUM. Just YUUUM.
- 1 bunch kale chopped fine with stems removed
- 2 cups shredded Brussels sprouts
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 lemon zested
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 8 oz sliced water chestnuts one 8 oz can, drained
- 11 oz Mandarin oranges one 11 oz can, drained
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup pepitas
- Crumbled cotija cheese for topping (optional)
- 2 avocado pit removed and sliced
- 8 tortillas or more
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add sliced tempeh to the skillet and sauté for 2-3 minutes before flipping to the other side. After flipping add 2 tablespoons of soy sauce to the skillet and continue to cook for an additional 2-3 minutes (it's pretty hard to mess up tempeh). Transfer tempeh to a clean plate and set aside.
- To the same skillet add mushrooms and remaining 2 tablespoons of soy sauce. Sauté mushrooms for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently, or until cooked to desired doneness. Remove to same plate as the tempeh and set aside.
- In a large salad bowl toss together the chopped kale, shredded Brussels sprouts, carrot and green onion. Drizzle the olive oil over the salad and, using clean hands, massage the oil into the salad (you're basically just mixing the dressing in really well since kale is a thicker leafy green).
- To the same bowl drizzle the fresh orange juice and fresh lemon juice, add the cooked brown rice, chopped cilantro, water chestnuts, Mandarin oranges, dried cranberries and pepitas. Add the cooked tempeh and cooked mushrooms. Gently toss to combine.
- Build your tacos- pile each tortilla with the tempeh salad, crumbled cotija cheese, and avocado.