Thai Meatball Lettuce Wraps with Tangy Cabbage Slaw
Prep Time25 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time50 mins
Servings: 6 servings
FOR THE MEATBALLS
- 1.5 pounds ground turkey, or chicken, I used a mix of turkey and chicken
- 2 carrots, finely grated
- 1/2 cup green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup sweet Thai chili sauce, store-bought or homemade
FOR THE CABBAGE SLAW
- 14 oz cole slaw mix, one 14 ounce bag, (or a mix of green cabbage, red cabbage and carrot)
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons sweet Thai chili sauce
- 2 heads romaine lettuce
- Limes, for serving
- Fresh chopped cilantro, for serving
- Additional sweet Thai chili sauce
- Sesame seeds
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
Mix all the ingredients for the meatballs in a large mixing bowl (except the sweet chili sauce!) and mix together until evenly combined (hands work best here).
Use your hands to form approximately 1 tablespoon of meat mixture into meatballs. Place each meatball onto prepared baking sheet.
Transfer prepared meatballs to the preheated oven and bake for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until cooked through. Flip once half way through.
While the meatballs are cooking prepare the cabbage slaw. Simply combine the cole slaw mix, fresh mint, basil leaves, green onions and cilantro in a large bowl and mix well. Set aside.
Whisk together the mayonnaise, rice wine vinegar, sugar and sweet red chili sauce in a small bowl. Combine with the cabbage slaw and mix well.
Remove the cooked meatballs from the oven and toss with 2-4 tablespoons of sweet chili sauce.
Assemble your lettuce cups. Start with 1-2 spoonfuls of cabbage slaw, meatballs and any additional garnishes desired (fresh line juice, chopped cilantro, sesame seeds, and peanuts).
Calories: 270kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 92mg | Sodium: 731mg | Potassium: 657mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 99.3% | Vitamin C: 38.5% | Calcium: 7.2% | Iron: 11.9%