Strawberry Spinach Salad
A light and colorful Strawberry Spinach Salad Recipe with Poppy Seed Dressing filled with crisp baby spinach, sweet summer strawberries, bacon, sliced onions, tangy feta cheese, and creamy avocado.
Servings: 4 servings
For the Poppyseed Vinaigrette
Fry the bacon - Start by frying the bacon first. Add the chopped bacon to a large skillet and set over medium-high heat. Once the bacon is hot and sizzling, reduce heat to medium-low and cover with a lid. Cook low and slow, stirring occasionally. Once the bacon pieces are golden and release their grease, remove the lid and allow them to cook until the desired doneness is reached. Remove the bacon using a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels. Set aside.
Prepare the poppyseed vinaigrette - Add all ingredients to a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Whisk well to combine or seal and shake vigorously until combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
Assemble - Add spinach to a large salad bowl and top with sliced red onion, green onion, cooked bacon bits, sliced strawberries, slivered almonds, crumbled feta, and sliced avocado. Gently toss to combine.
Serve - Divide salad among individual serving bowls and drizzle with prepared poppyseed vinaigrette.
- Add the poppy seed dressing just before serving to prevent your salad from getting soggy.
- Try to pick ripe, yet firm avocados to prevent them from turning to mush.
- Make it vegetarian and skip the bacon.
- Can't get your hands on any ripe strawberries? Don't use frozen. Use a different fruit instead - blueberries, raspberries, mango, pears, persimmon, etc.
- Add extra protein such as chicken, steak, garbanzo beans, or shrimp.
- Save time and prepare the bacon and vinaigrette ahead of time.
- If red onions are too strong for you, soak them in water after they've been sliced. This will remove some of the harshness.
- I do not recommend adding a heavy cream-based dressing, however, as it will weigh down the entire salad and distract from the freshness from the strawberries.
- Try adding different nuts such as pistachios, cashews, walnuts, etc.
Calories: 483kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 38g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 521mg | Potassium: 855mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 4551IU | Vitamin C: 91mg | Calcium: 271mg | Iron: 3mg