One-Pot Creamy Mushroom Tortellini with Spinach
Rich, creamy, and ready in just 30 minutes, this One-Pot Creamy Mushroom Tortellini with Spinach is dinnertime magic loved by all ages.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Once hot, add the sliced mushrooms in a single layer, making sure not to overcrowd the skillet. Cook the mushrooms until they are lightly browned, approximately 4 minutes on each side. Remove the mushrooms from the skillet and transfer to a clean plate. Repeat with the remaining sliced mushrooms and transfer to the plate with the other cooked mushrooms.
Reduce heat to medium. Add the butter to the skillet and add the shallots. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the minced garlic and thyme and sauté for 1 minute more.
Add the white wine to the skillet and scrape up any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the skillet. Allow wine to come to a simmer. Add the vegetable stock and return to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 4-5 minutes or until the liquid reduces by half. Add the spinach to the pot and continue to cook until spinach is wilted and fully cooked.
Slowly add the cream to the pot and stir to combine. Remove from heat (do not bring to a boil). Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Transfer cooked tortellini to the pot with the mushrooms and spinach and gently stir to combine. Serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese, if desired.
Originally published April 23, 2018
- Substitute the white wine with equal parts vegetable broth or low-sodium chicken broth.
- Be careful not to boil the cream.
- Add some meat: chicken, shrimp, beef, sausage, etc.
- No tortellini? substitute with regular pasta or ravioli instead.
- Just a teeny tiny bit (like 1 tsp) of fresh chopped rosemary is really good sprinkled on top. The same can be said about crushed red pepper.
- For a lighter sauce, use half-and-half in place of heavy whipping cream.
Calories: 446kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 80mg | Sodium: 464mg | Potassium: 731mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 2995IU | Vitamin C: 14.2mg | Calcium: 152mg | Iron: 3.3mg