This traditional Lebanese Tabbouleh is a fresh and delicious vegetarian salad made with finely chopped parsley, mint, tomatoes, lemon juice, and soaked bulgur wheat.
Servings: 6 as a side
Soak the bulgur. Start by soaking the bulger in 4 cups boiling water (or chicken stock for more flavor). Allow the bulgur to soak for approximately 15-30 minutes, or until softened. Drain through a fine-mesh strainer, pressing the bulgur gently with a paper towel to remove any remaining liquid. Set aside to cool.
Prepare the parsley and mint. Cut the thick stems from each bunch of parsley and mint. Using a sturdy chefs knife, finely chop the remaining smaller stems and leaves into small pieces. As this can be somewhat time-consuming, you may also chop your parsley and mint in a food processor, 1-bunch at a time. Take care, however, not to over-process into a paste. Transfer each bunch of minced parsley and mint to a large salad bowl.
Combine the salad ingredients. To the bowl filled with chopped mint and parsley, and the soaked and cooled bulgur, green onions, and chopped tomatoes.
Prepare the "dressing". In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
Assemble. Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well to combine. Taste and add additional salt, pepper, or lemon juice, as needed.
- You may use curly or flat-leaf parsley (or a mix of both).
- In traditional Lebanese Tabbouleh, there is typically much more parsley when compared to bulger.
- Bulgur is not gluten-free. Easily make this recipe gluten-free by replacing the bulgur with 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa or 1 1/2 cups cauliflower rice.
- For best results, cover and refrigerate your salad for 30-60 minutes before serving. It allows the flavors to really marinate together.
- Keep leftovers stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days.
Calories: 165kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 24mg | Potassium: 381mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 2854IU | Vitamin C: 48mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 3mg