Coleslaw Recipe - The Best Classic Coleslaw
The absolute Best Creamy Coleslaw Recipe! Crisp, refreshing, and filled with simple ingredients, this delicious coleslaw recipe comes together in just 10 minutes and tastes fantastic with all your favorite dishes bbq and potluck dishes.
Servings: 6 as a side
Prepare and shred your cabbage. Quarter your cabbage through the core. Cut out the core and remove the outer leaves. Cut each quarter in half crosswise and use a large chef's knife to finely shred. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the shredded purple cabbage and shredded carrots to the same bowl and toss to mix.
Prepare the coleslaw dressing. Add the apple cider vinegar, lemon, granulated sugar, and black pepper to a medium bowl. Whisk well to combine. Add the mayonnaise and mix to combine. Season with salt, and taste for acidity. Add additional salt or apple cider vinegar, if needed.
Combine and refrigerate. Start by pouring HALF of the dressing over the shredded cabbage, mixing well to combine. Add remaining dressing and mix again. Transfer coleslaw to the refrigerator and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes to allow flavors to set (time allowing).
- Feel free to use green cabbage, red cabbage, savoy cabbage, or Napa cabbage - or a combination of all four! All together, you'll need approximately 8-10 cups of shredded cabbage and carrots.
- Make-ahead: Prepare the coleslaw dressing up to 3 days ahead of time.
- Leftover coleslaw: Keep stored in the refrigerator. Best enjoyed within 2 days.
- To make this recipe vegan: replace the egg-based mayonnaise with an olive oil or avocado vegan mayo.
- Is this recipe gluten-free? Yes.
Calories: 241kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 207mg | Potassium: 391mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 4193IU | Vitamin C: 75mg | Calcium: 79mg | Iron: 1mg