I am developing a habit of falling asleep when I put O to sleep. In the past, there was always the occasional drift off, but for the past week or so it’s been every single day. You guys, this is not good. If you have kids, then you know that nap time and bedtime is sacred. For me, it’s the time I get to blog, take photos (for the most part), clean with any efficiency and eat in peace.
So, when I fell asleep and didn’t wake up until 10pm last night (past my bedtime), my sacred window was gone. Still half asleep, I recall my husband talking to me about computer updates as I stood in the pantry and scooped peanut butter out of the jar with my finger (it seriously did not cross my mind to get a spoon). Two glasses of milk and a chocolate bar later, I went back to bed.
Somehow I remembered to brush my teeth. Don’t worry.
To make up for my sleepwalking, sweet-eating tendencies, I make healthy things like this veggie packed zoodle bowl with Thai peanut chicken for dinner. Zucchini, cherry tomato and bell pepper topped with sliced chicken breasts. Drizzle it with the the creamiest, yummiest, sesame peanut butter sauce ever and you’ve got a fast, easy and delicious dinner.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts halved if very thick OR pounded to even thickness (this speeds up cooking time and prevents dryness)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt + pepper to taste
- Chili lime seasoning thank you Trader Joes
- 6 medium zucchini spiralized
- 4 cups cabbage or lettuce of choice
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and sliced
- 10 ounces cherry tomatoes halved
- Crushed peanuts for topping
- Lime wedges for serving
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and drizzle with olive oil. Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper to taste and Trader Joe's Chili Lime Seasoning (if you have it). Carefully add chicken to pan and cook until lightly browned on the outside and completely cooked through (approximately 4-6 minutes on each side). Remove chicken from heat and allow to cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the sauce. Taste and make any additions necessary (peanut butter/lime juice/fish sauce). Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet or dutch oven oven over medium heat and drizzle with olive oil. Add bell pepper and saute for 2-3 minutes then remove to a separate plate. Into the same pan, add the zucchini noodles and saute for 2-3 minutes, or until just starting to soften. Remove from heat.
- Assemble bowls, starting with the zucchini noodles and bell pepper on the bottom, Thai peanut chicken on top. Serve with chopped cherry tomatoes, lime wedges and crushed peanuts.
- Serve and eat immediately.