Broccoli Salad Recipe
Tossed in a creamy mayonnaise dressing, this easy Broccoli Salad comes filled with crisp broccoli florets, dried cranberries, red onion, bacon, pistachios, and chunks of mouthwatering smoked gouda cheese.
Servings: 8 servings
Cook the bacon - Add the chopped bacon to a large skillet and set over medium-high heat. Once the bacon is hot and sizzling, reduce heat to medium-low and cover with a lid. Cook low and slow, stirring occasionally. Once the bacon pieces are golden, remove the lid and allow them to cook until the desired doneness is reached. Remove the bacon using a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels. Set aside.
Prepare the mayo dressing - Whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Season with additional salt and pepper, to taste. Transfer to the refrigerator to keep cool until ready to use.
Assemble - In a large salad bowl add the broccoli florets, diced red onion, dried cranberries, pistachios, smoked gouda, and bacon bits. Toss to combine. Pour the prepared mayo dressing over the broccoli salad and mix well to coat.
Serve - Serve immediately, or for best flavor, let salad rest in the refrigerator for one hour, mixing once more before serving.
- Use approximately 1/2 cup if using pre-cooked store-bought bacon bits.
- Dried cranberries are my personal favorite, but feel free to add your favorite dried fruits such as raisins or blueberries.
- No pistachios? Sunflower seeds, cashews, and almonds are all great alternatives.
- If you can get your hands on smoked gouda (I purchase mine from Trader Joe's), I highly recommend it for this broccoli salad (as well as this pea salad). Other delicious cheeses however include sharp cheddar, mozzarella, Jack, or even shaved Parmesan.
- Substitutes to apple cider vinegar include white wine vinegar and red wine vinegar. Distilled white vinegar is not recommended as it is far too harsh.
Calories: 390kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 52mg | Sodium: 474mg | Potassium: 444mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 790IU | Vitamin C: 82mg | Calcium: 232mg | Iron: 1mg