How to Make Pumpkin Puree
Learn How to Make Pumpkin Puree from Scratch and use it in all your favorite pumpkin recipes.
Servings: 4 cups puree (approx)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet or small roasting pan with parchment paper.
Give the outside of your pumpkin a quick wash and dry thoroughly then use a sturdy knife to cut each pumpkin in half, from stem to base. Use a sturdy spoon or ice cream scooper to remove the seeds and stringy bits from the pumpkin. If desired, save the seeds for roasting.
Brush the entire surface - skin and flesh - of each pumpkin with a slight coat of oil. Sprinkle with salt, if desired. Transfer to your baking sheet, cut-side-down, and pierce the skin of each pumpkin half 2-3 times to allow for steam to release.
Bake at 350 degrees F for approximately 45 minutes, or until the flesh is easily pierced with a fork.
Remove from the oven and allow the pumpkins to cool for 5-10 minutes before scooping the soft, cooked flesh from the skin. Transfer the cooked flesh to a food processor or high-speed blender.
Blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- For the best pumpkin puree, skip the Halloween jack-o-lantern pumpkins and use sugar pumpkins to make this homemade pumpkin puree. They taste sweeter with firmer flesh.
- If you find that your puree is especially watery, transfer the puree to a cheesecloth and set in a fine-mesh strainer set over a bowl or pot. Allow the excess water to drain until thickened.
- Homemade pumpkin puree will last for up to 1 week when stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
- To freeze, transfer to a freezer-safe jar/bag/container and keep frozen until ready to use. Frozen pumpkin puree will last for up to 3-4 months.
- For reference, 1 (15-ounce) can of pumpkin puree contains 2 cups minus 2.5 tablespoons.
- Pumpkin is naturally gluten-free and vegan
Calories: 98kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 3mg | Potassium: 1156mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 28944IU | Vitamin C: 31mg | Calcium: 71mg | Iron: 3mg