This post has been sponsored by NABISCO.
These Red, White, and Blue Swirled Chocolate RITZ Cracker and Peanut Butter Sandwich Pops are sweet, salty, and a perfectly easy snack.
Somehow, suddenly, it’s the winter of 2018 and the Olympic Winter Games are upon us. I don’t know about you guys but I am EXCITED! Personally, I love winter sports. And by love, I mean that I love watching other people play or compete in winter sports. Me? Not so much. I have been snowboarding a handful of times and not once was I successful at getting off the ski lift without falling over and blocking the way for oncoming fellow ski and snowboarders.
It’s tough out there on the slopes…and cold. And when all you ever have to wear are your husband’s old ski pants, well, let’s just say it’s also awkward. Hot chocolate and the lodge fireplace on the other hand? I can totally do that.
Anyway, it’s the Olympic Winter Games! They only happen once every four years so I’d say it’s a great time to celebrate. Big parties or small, big kids or little, I have the perfect snack for all your Olympic Winter Games celebrations. It’s easy (like really easy!), looks amazing with almost no effort at all, and requires just FOUR ingredients.
All of which you can find at your local Target store (in the cookie/cracker aisle) because Target has everything. No really, you guys, they nail it every time.
Total side note- who remembers their first time shopping at Target? I remember my first time. I was in elementary school and I was with my best friend and her mom at the Woodland Hills location. I have no idea why we were there or what my initial impressions were of the store. I do, however, remember the big red Target sign as we walked into the store. I guess you can say the rest was history because Target and I have been pretty inseparable ever since.
Ok, enough of my stories, let’s chat about these awesome little bites of swirly sunshine.
First, we start with RITZ Crackers. RITZ Crackers are one of those childhood feel-good favorites (just like OREO Cookies and CHIPS AHOY! Cookies). They’re crunchy, buttery, and slightly salty. They make the perfect base for any topping you can think of- cured meats, salmon with cream cheese, chicken salad, and, of course, the other favorite and personal love of my life, peanut butter. RITZ Crackers are a pantry essential and are always on my Target shopping list.
To fancy these little peanut butter RITZ Sandwiches up, I decided to dip them in melted white chocolate swirled with red and blue food coloring.
Um, you guys, the swirling. It’s magical, hypnotizing, and guaranteed to be your new favorite activity. I tried both regular and gel food coloring and they were comparable in effect, so my advice is to go with what you’ve got (otherwise, Target definitely has you covered). These can easily be made ahead of time and stored in the freezer until ready to serve, so no pressure making them right before the party.
If you want to cover the entire cracker with chocolate, I highly recommend wedging a popsicle stick or cake pop stick between the two RITZ crackers. It makes dipping a breeze and eliminates what would otherwise be a very messy situation.
If you love this sweet RITZ Cracker snack, you may also enjoy these recipes:
Red, White, and Blue Chocolate Covered RITZ Cracker Peanut Butter Sandwich Pops
- 48 RITZ Crackers
- 1 cup Peanut Butter
- 15 ounces White Chocolate - melted
- Red & Blue Food Coloring
- Cover a large baking sheet with wax paper. Use a small butter knife to spread approximately 2 teaspoons of peanut butter onto the top of 24 RITZ Crackers. Carefully place a RITZ cracker on top of each peanut butter cracker and gently press down to secure.
- Optional- to create peanut butter cracker pops, stick a popsicle stick directly in the center of each cracker.
- Transfer baking sheet to the freezer and allow peanut butter to set for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the chocolate. Add 1″ of water to one medium saucepan over low heat. Bring to a very gentle simmer- do not boil! Place a heat-safe bowl on top of the pot (I use a glass bowl) so that the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water. The idea is that the steam generated from the water will slowly warm the bowl. That said do NOT allow steam to escape from the pot, if possible, as this is not good for the chocolate (tip- place a small towel between the pot and the bowl but be very careful as you don’t want the towel to catch on fire). Add the chocolate to the bowl and gently stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until chocolate is fully melted. Remove from heat.
- You can also melt the chocolate in the microwave (however, I’ve had very bad experience with this), by placing the chocolate in microwave-safe bowls at 50% power for 30-second intervals, stirring after each.
- Once the chocolate has melted, remove from heat and add 3-4 drops of red and blue food coloring. Use a toothpick to swirl the colors together.
- One at a time, dip each peanut butter RITZ Cracker sandwich into the melted chocolate, adding more food coloring as needed. Decorate with sprinkles, if desired. Allow chocolate to cool and set completely before serving.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)