A delicious combination of sweet and savory come together in this easy One Pan Apple Butter Roasted Chicken with Onions and Potatoes.
Today I went to Lululemon and left two hours later. If I learned anything from this experience it is that I can never ever go back into that store.
As a person that lives and works in athletic clothing, I have a pretty good idea of what is quality and what is not. I know what will last for years and what will last a season, or what will split open at the crotch in the middle of boot camp class (yes, this has happened to me). You guys, I like the good stuff. That’s not to say that I don’t mix things up and wear less expensive sports bras with more expensive pants, but, at the end of the day, if I had to wear the same outfit over and over again for a week I would probably (definitely) wear the better quality stuff.
Lululemon is quality, Lululemon is addictive, Lululemon should pay me right now for this post but they don’t have to because they are THAT GOOD.
After years avoiding the store, I finally went in. Truth be told, it was my first time at the mall in probably two years, so it’s not like I’ve had to try very hard to actually avoid the place. The moment I picked up the first item I knew it was over. Let’s just say the rest was a blur.
Moral of the story? no moral. Just know that even the most self-controlled person will walk away from that store ready for a cocktail…or five.
Ok, so what does Lululemon have to do with this chicken?
Nothing. It has absolutely nothing to do with this chicken. Except that after a day like today, I was happy to come home to an easy dinner because WHOA! shopping is exhausting. Like, way harder than any boot camp class or 10-mile run. So, the last thing I wanted to do was come home and whip together something complicated.
This super easy One Pan Apple Butter Roasted Chicken with Onions and Potatoes was prepped this morning and simply needed to be popped in the oven. The chicken is marinated in a sweet apple butter sauce and roasted with potatoes, spicy onion, and sweet, juicy apples. Wham bam, thank you, ma’am.
Apple Butter Roasted Chicken with Onions and Potatoes
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 tbsp grainy mustard
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup apple butter, plus more for serving
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 pounds skin-on, bone-in chicken, (thighs or drumsticks)
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes, halved
- 2 apples , sliced
- fresh chopped thyme, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the orange juice, grainy mustard, olive oil, apple butter, salt, black pepper, fresh rosemary, and parsley. Transfer mixture to a large ziplock bag along with the chicken pieces and seal tightly. Gently toss to coat and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to cook, remove chicken pieces from the marinade and transfer to the prepared baking sheet skin-side-up. Arrange the potatoes, onions, and sliced apple around and under the chicken pieces.
- Bake, uncovered, for approximately 30 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reads between 165-175 degrees F and the potatoes are fully cooked and crispy.
- Remove baking sheet from the oven and brush the top of each piece of chicken with additional apple butter and sprinkle with fresh chopped thyme.