Apple Donuts, a year-round favorite, is especially popular as the temperatures cool and summer gives way to fall. With a soft, pillowy inside and a sweet, crunchy outside, these delicious Cinnamon Sugar Baked Apple Donuts are made with applesauce and pair perfectly with your morning cup of coffee or fresh out of the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Homemade Apple Donuts
Simple, homemade, delicious apple donuts. To be honest with you guys, which I am, I can think of few things better. It’s funny; donuts are one of those delicious treats that are so easily forgotten, at least for me. This makes no sense since donuts, especially these baked apple donuts, are definitely not forgettable. Take one bite of these soft, fluffy, apply pillows, and you’ll be hooked. With nothing artificial, they’re nothing like store-bought donuts.
The hardest part will be eating just one!
Ingredients in these Apple Donuts
- Flour – We’re using regular all-purpose flour. For a gluten-free version, swap regular flour for a gluten-free all-purpose flour.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda
- Ground Cinnamon and nutmeg– This recipe doesn’t require more than a little ground cinnamon and nutmeg to have yummy fall flavors. Of course, feel free to swap the ground cinnamon for apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice if preferred.
- Butter – Butter helps make these donuts moist and cake-like. The butter also adds a delicious buttery flavor.
- Eggs – Eggs keep the donuts together, preventing them from crumbling apart.
- Granulated Sugar – For sweetness!
- Buttermilk – Buttermilk helps keep baked goods moist and flavorful.
- Applesauce and Grated Apple – For yummy apple flavor!
Tools to Make Apple Donuts
Now, there are a few things that are pretty important when making these delicious, fantastic, fall-flavored donuts.
- Donut Baking Pan– This is the donut pan that I use, and it works great. You can also try using a silicone donut baking pan for easier removal.
- Cheese grater – If it works for cheese, it will work for the apples.
- Large zip-lock bag – The batter is quite thick and sticky, so it’s much easier to get the apple batter into the donut mold by squeezing it through a small slit in a zip-lock bag.
How to Make Apple Donuts
- Preheat oven, grease donut pan, and grate apple. Set everything aside.
- Prepare the batter.
- Transfer the batter for the apple donuts to a large ziplock bag and seal, removing all air. Snip off a small corner of the bag.
- Gently squeeze batter into the cavities of the donut hole pan.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes.
- As the donuts bake, melt the butter in one bowl and mix together the cinnamon and the sugar in another.
- Remove the donuts from the pan, brush with melted butter, and coat with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
One important thing to note about these donuts (and all donuts) is that they taste best when eaten just after baking. Ideally, when they’re still warm, but definitely within the first 12-24 hours.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, not necessarily. However, they are baked rather than fried, so they are healthier than regular fried donuts.
Absolutely! Instead of using a donut pan, lightly grease a mini muffin pan and bake in a preheated 400℉ oven for 8-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. You can also bake them in a regular muffin pan. Start at 400℉ for 8 minutes, then 350℉ for another 6-8 minutes.
Donuts taste best when eaten just after baking. Ideally, when they’re still warm, but definitely within the first 12-24 hours. If you don’t expect to finish all 18 donuts on the same day, my advice is to keep the batter stored in the refrigerator and bake the remaining donuts the next day. If you do bake them all in one go, store any leftovers in a sealed, airtight container for maximum freshness!
More Apple Recipes,
- Homemade Applesauce Recipe
- Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats
- Fried Apples Recipe (How to Make Fried Apples)
- Apple Balsamic Instant Pot Pork Tenderloin
- Marinated Salmon Apple Salad
- Herbed Apple and Pumpernickel Stuffing
If you try making this Apple Cinnamon Baked Apple Donuts Recipe, please leave me a comment and let me know! I always love to hear your thoughts.
Cinnamon Sugar Baked Apple Donuts
For the Apple Doughnuts
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1.5 teaspoon salt
- 0.5 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoon butter - melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 0.75 cup granulated sugar
- .5 teaspoon nutmeg
- 0.5 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1.5 cups fresh apple - peeled, cored, and grated
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and ground cinnamon. Set aside these dry ingredients.
- In a separate, larger bowl, whisk together the butter, eggs, granulated sugar, buttermilk, nutmeg, and applesauce. Mix until just combined.
- Stir in the grated apples, then stir in the dry ingredients from step 2, and transfer the batter to a large ziplock bag. Squeeze out all of the air and snip one corner, creating a small hole. Spray the donut hole pan with a light layer of non-stick cooking spray.
- Squeeze batter into the cavities of the donut hole pan and transfer to the oven to bake for 12-14 minutes.
- As the donuts are baking, combine the sugar with the ground cinnamon and melt approximately 4 tablespoons of butter in a small dish.
- When the donuts have finished baking, remove them from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool for 5-10 minutes. Brush with the melted butter and coat in the cinnamon sugar topping. Enjoy!
- Store any leftover donuts in a zip-lock bag or container with a tight-fitting lid. Best when enjoyed within 24 hours.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)