I’m sharing SPLENDA® Sweetener Products in my life as part of a sponsored series for Socialstars™ . As always, thanks for reading!
After a weekend spent outdoors frolicking in the flowers, fishing (just kidding. I ate cheese and watched my husband try to teach our 3 year old how to fish), playing in a secret magical “baby ocean”, and ultimately finding myself a little too sun-kissed (thanks for nothin’ sunscreen), I am happy to say Spring is here! Even the usually gloomy, overcast Northern California Coast was celebrating. My depressed Vitamin D reserves have been restored and I feel as happy as a kid with cake.
Speaking of cake, I made these Carrot Cake Muffins with Streusel Topping.
If you’ve been to this blog once or twice then you may know about my love for all things cake, cookies and pie. I have a serious serious sweet tooth and equally serious issue with portion control. The two together? Dangerous.
Even though I have accepted that I will never give up my precious desserts and sweets, that doesn’t mean I can’t take steps to prepare some of my favorites with less added sugar. This way I can enjoy my sweets and treats without a side of guilt. Besides, let’s face it, you guys, I put enough stress on myself for everything else (ahem, #motherhood). I’m too old to stress about food.
To help me keep my favorite sweet treats without all the crazy added sugar I turn to SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener. It’s a win-win 🙂
So, these carrot cake muffins… made with fresh shredded carrots and with just half the fat as regular muffins (thank you, apple sauce!), they are a favorite grab-n-go snack. Sweetened with SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener and a tiny drizzle of maple syrup, they practically scream SPRING!
And the streusel on top? Icing on the cake.
Carrot Cake Muffins with Streusel ToppingPrint Recipe Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
FOR THE TOPPING:
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 packets SPLENDA® Naturals
- 3 teaspoons unsalted butter - softened
FOR THE MUFFINS:
- 1.75 cups all-purpose flour
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1.5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup applesauce - no sugar added
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 12 packets SPLENDA® Naturals
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups grated carrot - drained of excess water
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup pepitas or chopped pecans - for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners and spray each liner with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Prepare the streusel topping by combining the flour with the 2 packets SPLENDA® Naturals. Add the softened butter and combine with a fork or your fingers to crumble the mixture together. Set aside.
- To prepare the muffin batter, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt in a large bowl until fully incorporated.
- In a separate bowl gently whisk together the eggs, oil, apple sauce, buttermilk, 12 packets of SPLENDA® Naturals, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Whisk for 2-3 minutes, or until completely combined. Or, use your mixer to insure proper mixing.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently stir in the flour mixture, mixing only until just combined. Fold in the grated carrots, chopped nuts and raisins (if desired).
- Divide the batter equally among the 12 muffin cups and sprinkle the top of each with some streusel topping and pepitas.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Allow muffins to cook in the pan for 10 minutes before serving.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)