A Breakfast Sandwich filled with eggs, cheese, and ham piled between a soft butter croissant that is actually freezer friendly? Oh, yes. Enjoy one of these delicious Croissant Breakfast Sandwiches for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, and stockpile your freezer for busy nights on the go…or the holidays.
Fact: hot and cheesy breakfast sandwiches may just be the best thing on this planet. Ok ok, they’re right at the tippy top of the list hanging out with these creamy baked eggs and killer Jambalaya (he’s not really a killer, but don’t tell him I told you).
Anyway, if I’m being honest, croissant breakfast sandwiches are little more than just a party in my mouth. There’s actually some sentimental value to these amazingly worth it calorie bombs. It’s kinda a long story that I won’t go into…
Basically, my sister used to make these sandwiches for dinner all the time when we were kids growing up. Our family life could sometimes be a bit unpredictable so she made sure to keep us well fed. That, and she was really great at making ham and cheese sandwiches (she did work at Subway, you know). These were one of her go-to easy dinners. Minus the egg.
Anyway, life at the moment is feeling a bit…unpredictable. Not in a scary or bad way, just in the way that calls for a warm, cheesy, make-ahead and stockpile (apocalypse style) breakfast sandwich.
Ingredients in this Freezer-Friendly Croissant Breakfast Sandwich Recipe
- butter croissants
- dijon mustard
- sliced ham (or turkey)
- sliced cheddar cheese
First, we should probably chat about how to make these lovely croissant breakfast sandwiches. After that, I will explain how to freeze and reheat them. Sounds good?
How to make a breakfast sandwich
ok, so big surprise here, but preparing a breakfast sandwich is virtually identical to preparing any other sandwich. At least in the beginning stages. If you plan on adding eggs (or egg whites) just remember that you need to cook them first.
- Prepare the eggs. Decide on eggs. yes or no? Do you want regular eggs or egg whites? Add them to a bowl and whisk them together with milk.
- Preare the eggs. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the butter and give it a good swirl. Pour the eggs into the skillet and cook, scrambling (is that how you describe it?), until the eggs have thickened and no liquid remains. Translation- cook until they look like scrambled eggs. Set them aside to cool.
- Build the sandwiches. Grab those big, soft, buttery croissants. Now, slice them in half. On one-half spread one tablespoon of mayonnaise (although if I remember correctly, my sister added way more than one tablespoon, so do whatever feels right). To the other half spread one teaspoon of mustard. Again, I don’t think my dear sister added any mustard at all, so if mustard doesn’t sing to you, feel free to leave it off. Top each with scrambled egg, sliced deli meat, and 1 1/2 slices of cheese.
- Bake. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Individually wrap each sandwich in foil and transfer to a baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
Now, here comes the options…
Oh wait, one more photo…
Ahh, that’s the good stuff. The smell, if only you knew…
How to Freeze Breakfast Sandwiches
Wrap each individual (uncooked) breakfast sandwich nice and snug in plastic wrap. Once wrapped transfer as many that will fit comfortably without squishing into a large ziplock bag. Transfer to the freezer. Enjoy within 6-8 weeks.
*Tip- cut back on plastic usage by reusing the large ziplock bag after use.
How to heat breakfast Sandwich from frozen
- Microwave. The easiest method is by means of the microwave. Remove the desired number of sandwiches from the plastic wrap and wrap in a paper towel. Transfer the sandwich to a microwave dish and microwave on high for 1-2 minutes, or until heated through. If your sandwiches were made with large croissants (like those shown in these images) you may want to cut your sandwich in half midway through heating.
- Oven. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Remove sandwiches from plastic wrap and wrap in foil. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until cheese has fully melted.
Other fun breakfast sandwich fillers
You can add whatever you want to your breakfast sandwich. My sister loves mayonnaise and American cheese..or was it Velveeta?… Anyway, I love eggs and some mayonnaise, so that’s how I make these freezer-friendly breakfast sandwiches.
Here are some other delicious ideas,
- or sausage.
- spinach or kale
- onions- crunchy or caramelized
- pestos- I’m thinking sundried tomato.
- AVOCADO (I recommend adding this after cooking)
- non-animal meat- tofu or tempeh
- apple slices
If you try cooking this Easy Freezer-Friendly Croissant Breakfast Sandwich Recipe, please leave me a comment and let me know! I always love to hear your thoughts.
For more breakfast recipes check out,
- Muffin Egg Cups Recipe (Breakfast Meal Prep)
- Sweet Pepper and Sausage Breakfast Hash
- Sausage Egg Casserole Recipe
- French Toast Bake
- Egg Frittata Recipe- How to make a Frittata
For more sandwich recipes check out,
- Herbed Goat Cheese and Avocado Sandwich
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
- Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Chicken Salad Sandwich
- Easy Peperoncini, Provolone and Egg Breakfast Sandwich
- Classic Reuben Sandwich
DON’T FORGET TO PIN AND SHARE THIS FREEZER-FRIENDLY CROISSANT BREAKFAST SANDWICH RECIPE TO MAKE FOR A FLAVORFUL AND COMFORTING BREAKFAST, LUNCH, OR DINNER THE WHOLE FAMILY WILL LOVE (OR TO PLAN FOR THE APOCOLYPSE).
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE FORKED SPOON NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
Freezer-Friendly Croissant Breakfast Sandwich Recipe
- 6 large eggs - lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 large butter croissants
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 4 tsp dijon mustard
- 6 ounces ham or turkey - thinly sliced
- 6 slices cheddar cheese
- In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs with whole milk.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the eggs to the skillet and scramble the eggs, cooking until eggs are thickened and no liquid egg remains. Set aside.
- Prepare the sandwiches. Slice each croissant in half. On one half spread one tablespoon mayonnaise and on the other half spread one teaspoon mustard. Fill each sandwich with egg, ham or turkey, and 1.5 slices of cheese.
- To bake. Preheat oven to 450 F. Wrap each sandwich in foil and place on a baking sheet. Transfer baking sheet to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
- To freeze. Tightly wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap and place in the freezer.
- To heat from frozen. Remove the sandwich from the plastic wrap and place in a paper towel on a microwave-safe dish. Microwave for 1-2 minutes, or until heated through. Alternatively, preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Remove sandwiches from plastic wrap and wrap in foil. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until cheese has fully melted. Enjoy!