The BEST Breakfast Sandwich Recipe! Made with egg, cheese, and ham piled between a soft butter croissant, these warm and delicious breakfast sandwiches are freezer-friendly and perfect for a quick and easy breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Breakfast Sandwich Recipe
Fact: hot and cheesy breakfast sandwiches may just be the best thing on this planet. Ok ok, slight exaggeration, but they are right at the tippy top of my list with these creamy baked eggs and killer Jambalaya.
Anyway, and if I’m being honest, these warm, buttery, breakfast sandwiches are way more than just a party in my mouth. There’s actually some sentimental value behind these SOLID sandwiches, but the story is long so I won’t go into it…
Just kidding. The short version? My sister would make these sandwiches for my brother and me when we were kids (sans egg). She often took on the role of both mom and sister, making sure we were all well-fed, and for that, I am forever grateful.
Anyway, given the unpredictability in the world at the moment, I thought today would be a good time to stockpile a few of these sandwiches away in my freezer and save them for a day that calls for a warm, cheesy, buttery breakfast sandwich hug.
First, I’ll share how to make these lovely croissant breakfast sandwiches. After that, I will explain how to freeze and reheat them. Sounds good?
How to make a Croissant Breakfast Sandwich
First, gather your ingredients. To make this recipe I needed the following:
- Eggs (or egg whites)
- Butter croissants
- Dijon mustard
- Sliced ham (or turkey)
- Sliced cheddar cheese
Feel free to add whatever you want to your breakfast sandwiches. My sister always added mayonnaise and American cheese..or was it Velveeta?… Anyway, I love eggs and some mayonnaise, so that’s how I make them.
Here are some other delicious ideas,
- Bacon or sausage
- Spinach or kale
- Onions- crunchy or caramelized
- Pesto – basil pesto or sundried tomato.
- AVOCADO (I recommend adding this after cooking)
- Non-animal meat- tofu or tempeh
- Apple slices
Next and (not) so big surprise, but preparing a breakfast sandwich is virtually identical to preparing any other sandwich. At least in the beginning stages. If you plan on adding eggs (or egg whites) just remember that you’ll need to cook them first.
- Prepare the eggs. Decide on eggs. yes or no? Do you want regular eggs or egg whites? Add them to a bowl and whisk them together with milk. Leave them plain or add some spices and seasoning – up to you.
- Cook the eggs. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the butter and give it a good swirl. Pour the eggs into the skillet and cook, scrambling (is that how you describe it?), until the eggs have thickened and no liquid remains. Translation- cook until they look like scrambled eggs. Set them aside to cool.
- Build the sandwiches. Grab those big, soft, buttery croissants. Now, slice them in half. On one-half spread one tablespoon of mayonnaise (or more – do whatever feels right). To the other half spread one teaspoon of mustard. Top each with scrambled egg, sliced deli meat, and 1 1/2 slices of cheese.
- Bake. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Individually wrap each sandwich in foil and transfer to a baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
How to Freeze + Reheat Frozen Breakfast Sandwiches
To freeze, wrap each individual (uncooked) breakfast sandwich nice and snug in plastic wrap. Once wrapped transfer as many that will fit comfortably (without squishing) into a large ziplock bag. Transfer to the freezer. Enjoy within 6-8 weeks.
- Tip – cut back on plastic usage by reusing the large ziplock bag after use.
You can reheat from frozen using either the microwave or oven:
- Microwave. The easiest method is by means of the microwave. Remove the desired number of sandwiches from the plastic wrap and wrap in a paper towel. Transfer the sandwich to a microwave dish and microwave on high for 1-2 minutes, or until heated through. If your sandwiches were made with large croissants (like those shown in these images) you may want to cut your sandwich in half midway through heating.
- Oven. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Remove sandwiches from plastic wrap and wrap in foil. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until cheese has fully melted.
More breakfast recipes,
If you try making this Easy Freezer-Friendly Breakfast Sandwich Recipe, please leave me a comment and let me know! I always love to hear your thoughts.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE FORKED SPOON NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
Freezer-Friendly Croissant Breakfast Sandwich Recipe
- 6 large eggs - lightly beaten
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 large butter croissants
- 4 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 6 ounces ham or turkey - thinly sliced
- 6 slices cheddar cheese
- In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs with whole milk.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the eggs to the skillet and scramble the eggs, cooking until eggs are thickened and no liquid egg remains. Set aside.
- Prepare the sandwiches. Slice each croissant in half. On one half spread one tablespoon mayonnaise and on the other half spread one teaspoon mustard. Fill each sandwich with egg, ham or turkey, and 1.5 slices of cheese.
- To bake. Preheat oven to 450 F. Wrap each sandwich in foil and place on a baking sheet. Transfer baking sheet to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
- To freeze. Tightly wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap and place in the freezer.
- To heat from frozen. Remove the sandwich from the plastic wrap and place in a paper towel on a microwave-safe dish. Microwave for 1-2 minutes, or until heated through. Alternatively, preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Remove sandwiches from plastic wrap and wrap in foil. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until cheese has fully melted. Enjoy!
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)