Five minutes to this flavor-filled Sun Dried Tomato Pesto. Tossed with cooked pasta, spread on your favorite sandwich or spread over pizza, this pesto is sure to be an instant favorite.
I am a big fan of easy meals.
I am also a big fan of homemade sauces. Not that I have anything against store bought sauce or dressing; after all, I have my fair share of favorite pre-made stuff. But sometimes I like to take things (salt) into my own hands.
A while back I made this homemade sun-dried tomato pesto and haven’t looked back since. It’s super easy to make a great big batch and use it in all your favorite recipes- pizza and sandwiches (chicken sandwich up on the blog later this week) have been just a couple of my favs.
Homemade sauces also make great gifts.
After my friend had her baby a few months ago I dropped off a big jar of this pesto, pasta noodles and a block of parmesan cheese. Little to no prep time, and a fresh, hot meal when she and her family want dinner. Of course, I could have picked up food from a restaurant, but with this, there was no pressure.
Anyway, weather you have a friend about to pop, or not, this pesto is fantastic and delicious any time of year, rain or shine!
- 7 oz sun-dried tomatoes - one 7 ounce jar,, oil drained
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes - I used fresh cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup pine nuts - or cashews
- 11 fresh basil leaves
- 2.5 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt + Pepper - to taste
- 1.5 tablespoons water
- 2.5 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese - optional, but recommended
- Place all ingredients in the bowl of a large blender or food processor and pulse until smooth.
- If pesto is too thick, add an additional 1-2 tablespoons of water to help move things along.
- Season to taste and add shredded parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.