These Savory Butter Roasted Sweet Potatoes are made with a handful of simple ingredients including fresh herbs, melted butter, brown sugar, and sweet potatoes and roasted in the oven until perfectly tender and delicious. Full of mouthwatering flavor, these impressive roasted sweet potatoes are guaranteed to be your new favorite sweet potato side dish this holiday season.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes, but Better
Few side dishes can compare themselves with these butter roasted sweet potatoes. A perfect harmony of sweet and savory flavors, this delicious sweet potato side dish is easy to make and is made with just a few (ok, 5) simple ingredients.
Unlike other roasted sweet potato recipes, these potatoes are cut into thirds or fourths, smothered with melted butter, brown sugar, and herbs, and then baked. The result is perfectly tender, creamy, flavor-infused roasted sweet potatoes.
Of course, in order to love this recipe, I highly recommend that you already love sweet potatoes (or be open to the idea of loving them). After all, this this entire post is about sweet potatoes.
And although the oh-so-healthy sweet potato is turned into a not-so-heathy side dish (you can thank the butter and sugar for that), this is a recipe that calls for sharing! Share with friends, share with family, serve for dinner, or serve at holidays.
Sometimes healthy is overrated. Thankfully these butter roasted sweet potatoes are not.
Continue reading: Yams vs. Sweet Potatoes: What’s the Difference?
- Sweet potatoes
- Salted butter (or unsalted)
- Brown sugar
- Fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, and oregano)
- Ground cinnamon
Considering I didn’t try my first sweet potato until I was well into my twenties, it may be surprising that I have so many recipes on this little site of mine that include them. But the sweet potato and me? Well, I guess you could say that it was love at first sight (or bite…or whatever). They’re delicious year round, versatile, and actually quite good for you (depending on the preparation, of course).
So, for this particular sweet potato recipe I wanted to prepare them in a way that would combine both sweet with savory.
So I did.
And the result was even better than expected.
The best part? These potatoes are incredibly easy to prepare, make a fantastic addition to a holiday gathering or a simple ordinary family meal. Plus, the leftovers? Just as good as the day they came out of the oven. So, grab some sweet potatoes and fresh herbs and see for yourself!
How to Make Butter Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Brown Sugar
Preparing this sweet potato side dish is easy, but plan for at least 60-90 minutes for your sweet potatoes to cook completely.
1. Preheat oven:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line a large baking sheet or jelly roll pan with parchment paper. This makes for a significantly easier cleanup.
2. Prepare you sweet potatoes:
Wash and scrub your sweet potatoes and dry thoroughly. Slice off the ends of each potato (approximately 1/2-inch from each end) and then cut each potato into thirds or fourths. Each piece should be approximately 2 inches thick.
Transfer the 12 sweet potato sections to the prepared baking sheet.
Meanwhile, add the butter to a microwave-safe dish and cook until just melted (it took my microwave approximately 30 seconds to melt 1 stick of butter). Generously brush the melted butter over each sweet potato (reserve some butter for the next step).
In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar and fresh chopped herbs. Carefully place 1-2 tablespoons of the herb and brown sugar mixture on top of each potato and drizzle with butter. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and ground cinnamon, if desired.
Transfer your prepared sweet potatoes to the oven and bake for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes, turn down the heat to 325 degrees F. Tent the baking sheet and sweet potatoes with a large sheet of aluminum foil and continue to bake for an additional 20-30 minutes, or until the potatoes are fully cooked and easily pierced with a fork or knife.
Garnish with additional butter, brown sugar, or drizzle with maple syrup. Served immediately.
More Sweet Potato Recipes,
Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash Shepherd’s Pie (one of my personal favorites)
If you try making these Butter Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Brown Sugar, please leave me a comment and let me know how it turned out! I always love to hear your thoughts.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE FORKED SPOON NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
Butter Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Brown Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet or jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Wash and scrub your sweet potatoes and dry thoroughly. Cut off the ends of each potato and then cut each potato in thirds (each piece should be approximately 2 inches thick). Transfer the 12 sweet potato sections to the prepared baking sheet.
- Add the butter to a microwave-safe bowl and cook until just melted (it took me approximately 30 seconds). Generously brush melted butter over each sweet potato (reserve some butter for the next step).
- In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar and fresh chopped herbs. Press 1-2 tablespoons of the herb and brown sugar mixture on top of each potato and drizzle with butter. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and ground cinnamon.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes, turn down the heat to 325 degrees F. Tent the sweet potatoes with a large sheet of aluminum foil and continue to bake for an additional 20-30 minutes, or until the potatoes are fully cooked and easily pierced with a fork or knife.
- Best served immediately.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)