Oh, hey there! It’s the day before the 4th of July which means no school for the preschooler. Lucky for you guys that means no long rambling posts like yesterday’s (although the pasta was totally worth it!).
So, getting right to it, I have a super awesome salad for you guys (to help regain some balance after that super delicious pasta from yesterday).
While this salad may not be loaded with cream or noodles, it is packed with other equally yummy foods- corn, strawberries, STONE FRUIT, asparagus, zucchini and loads of other awesome feel good foods.
Basically, this is summer in a bowl.
Drizzle with the easiest ever strawberry vinaigrette and dinner (or lunch, or… breakfast?) is served 🙂
ps- my kid has entered the “I can dress myself” stage. The laundry, you guys, it’s everywhere. I’m seriously considering hiding his clothing.
Grilled Peach, Corn, Zucchini and Asparagus Summer Salad with Strawberry VinaigrettePrint Recipe Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
- 1.5 cups farro - rinsed
- 8 ounces arugula/baby kale - or baby spinach
- 2 corn on the cob
- 2 zucchini - sliced horizontally lengthwise
- 1 pound asparagus - woody ends removed
- 2 peaches - ripe but firm!!
- 2 apricots
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 10 strawberries - sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil - torn
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint - chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives - chopped
- 2 cups microgreens - optional
- 3 green onions - chopped
- 1 large avocado - pitted and sliced
- 8 ounces mozzarella - Fresh, or burrata
- Prepare the farro. Rinse the farro with fresh clean water. Fill a large saucepan with cold, salted water and bring to a boil. Add the farro, stir, and reduce heat to medium low. Farro should be fully immersed in water. Cook for 25-30 minutes, or until farro is cooked through. Drain completely and spread the cooked farro in a layer over a piece of parchment paper or clean baking sheet.
- As the farro cooks, prepare the vegetables for the grill. Preheat grill to medium and clean grill grates of any leftover bits from previous cookouts. Remove corn husks and the silky threads. Cut peaches and apricots along the seam and twist apart; brush with a thin coat of olive oil. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and brush with oil.
- Grill the corn first, followed by the peaches, zucchini and asparagus. The corn will cook in approximately 10 minutes, while the others cook quite fast at 2-4 minutes. I prefer my vegetable with a bite (al dente) so I tend to cook mine for a shorter time.
- Prepare the strawberry vinaigrette. In a small food processor blend all ingredients for the vinaigrette until fully blended. Season to taste.
- Prepare your salad. In a large salad bowl mix the arugula (or baby kale) with the cooled (!!!) farro, torn basil and mint- if the farro is still hot it will cook and wilt the greens. Assemble the remaining ingredients on top as desired- I cut all the corn from the cob, sliced the peaches and apricots, sliced the zucchini, etc. Garnish with microgreens, strawberries, tomatoes, green onion, and chives.
- Serve with strawberry vinaigrette.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)