All of a sudden, it feels like summer here in northern California. It may still be spring, but the 90 degree temperatures yesterday and today have Spring feeling very confused.
My child, on the other hand, is loving the warmer temperature; in his mind warmer temperature translates to fun and water. In fact, if he didn’t hate getting his clothing wet, I would think I gave birth to a water dwelling little fish, not a land walking little human. Fortunately, we are members to a gym that has not only 3 pools, but also an awesome splash pad area for crazy kids to play in and keep cool.
I love splash pads for kids. Why? Well, I like to think that, in the end, it uses less water than running the sprinklers. After all, it uses recycled water (kinda gross, so, sadly, I can’t count it as a shower also) and multiple kids play at the same time (again saving on water). As long as Octavian is on his best behavior and not trying to sneak into the hot tub, it also allows me to stand back and watch him run around like a crazy person wearing himself out. And, if I’m really lucky, it also means an early and much easier bedtime.
While warmer weather translates to water for Octavian, warmer weather means salad to me- especially if it’s light, fresh and colorful. Well, I couldn’t think of a better salad to kick off the hot weather than this Greek salad with lemon vinaigrette.
There are so many things I love about this salad. One, it is super easy to prepare and doesn’t take a lot of time. You can even chop veggies and prepare the dressing early in the day and keep it separate and stored in the refrigerator for the easiest dinner ever. It’s light and healthy and fresh.
win. win. win.
To make this into a complete meal, feel free to add chicken or shrimp and serve it with hummus and flatbread. You guys, the easiest.
Greek Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- 5 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 English cucumber, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup kalamata olives, halved or whole
- 15 oz garbanzo beans, one 15 oz. can, drained and rinsed
- 2/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- To make the dressing- whisk together all the ingredients in a small bowl until completely blended. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- For the salad- toss all ingredients in a large bowl with desired amount of dressing.