Inspired by one of my favorite food bloggers, this Kale and Roasted Veggie Salad with Tahini Yogurt Pesto perfectly combines healthy, energy packed power foods into one delicious bowl.
Have you guys heard of the blog well and full? It’s one of my favorites. The photos, recipes, feel of the whole site makes me want to be a healthier person. Show Sarah some love and say hi, she’s awesome (and no, she has no idea I’m saying this… actually, she has no idea who I am).
Anyway, hi! How are you guys? I feel like it has literally been forever since I’ve been here to say hello. I stopped in twice last week so I guess it has been a while
So, what’s been going on? How’s life? Anything exciting? Please tell me something so I can live vicariously through you…
The highlight of my weekend was definitely sleeping in this morning. Apparently, I birthed a morning person because my 4 year old refuses to give up his 5:30 am wake up time. I have no idea who he got this from since both his father and I are most definitely not morning people. So, every single night after kisses and hugs I whisper in my sweetest firm voice possible, “NO NOT GET UP BEFORE THE SUN!”
What happens every morning?
He’s up. Tossing, turning, smacking me in the face with cars or snakes or lizards asking over and over and (bloody) over, “Mama, can you turn on Ready Jet Go?” I give him the same answer over and over and over, “no! go back to sleep. the sun isn’t awake yet.”
His new rebuttal?
“Mama, you’re breaking my heart…Mama, my heart is breaking…”
OMG, who is this kid! GO BACK TO BED!
“Mama, you broke my heart. Say you’re sorry…” he whispers in my ear, “Mama, you’re breaking my heart, say you’re sorry.”
If I hadn’t been so tired I would have laughed, because, really? I mean…really?
Long story short, I managed to keep him in bed until 6 am. Of course, he was grumpy and ready for a nap by 10 am.
…he doesn’t nap anymore.
Now that I rambled about sleep issues with my kid, I have about two things to say about this Kale and Roasted Veggie Salad-
- It’s fantastic and…
- You should make it.
Jk, I probably have a whole lot more to say, but that’s the jist of it and the two glasses of wine I just kicked back (happy Sunday!) are whispering in my ear to press publish. But seriously, anything else would probably look like this,
Have a fantastic week, you guys!
Kale and Roasted Veggie Salad with Tahini Yogurt Pesto
FOR THE ROASTED VEGGIES
FOR THE SALAD
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Chop vegetables and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Rinse and drain chickpeas and pat dry with a paper towel. Combine with the chopped vegetables.
- Combine the olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, dried parsley, dried basil and dried thyme in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Add the olive oil mixture to the vegetables and chickpeas and mix to fully coat.
- Transfer vegetables and chickpeas to baking sheets and roast for 40-45 minutes or until fully cooked and chickpeas are crispy. Remove baking sheets from the oven and cool.
- Meanwhile, as the vegetables are cooking, prepare the pesto by combining all ingredients in a small food processor or blender and process of high until fully blended.
- Once vegetables are roasted (and cooled) and pesto is prepared, combine the salad. In a large mixing bowl toss together the cooked freekeh, kale, dried cranberries, sesame seeds and avocado. Add the roasted vegetables and yogurt tahini dressing and toss well to combine.
- Serve with fresh lemon and sesame seeds, if desired.