Breakfast for dinner is the best kind of dinner- especially when it’s this Lentil and Farro Salad with Fried Egg and Jalapeños.
My child is driving me nuts. Like, I can’t even anymore. I don’t know where I went wrong in my life, because I am being punished for something. And now that he is almost 4 years old I am asked by almost everyone I meet, “well, aren’t you going to have another?”
ok, that’s a lie. maybe. it’s a very confusing subject.
BUT, the thought of adding a newborn to my life is a little too much for me to handle right now.
Don’t get me wrong, my child is awesome. He’s fun and adventurous and the most curious little person I have ever met. That said, he is stubborn, wild and fiercely independent. And don’t even get me started on how smart he is- and I’m not just saying this because he’s my kid, I promise. But, it’s true, my child is smart! He is the most clever and conniving person I’ve ever met.
It’s exhausting. And hilarious.
…hilariously exhausting? (wait a sec. I think I just described motherhood)!
So, when he was at swim lessons today, he decided to do whatever the you-know-what he wanted the moment the instructor would help another kid in his group. This included getting out of the pool, running to a different part and jumping in.
Let me be clear- my child does not know how to swim. He thinks he can swim, but he cannot. Let me also be clear that just before he got into the pool I explained to him proper behavior and the consequences if he did not listen.
Given the place and situation, it would be hard for him to drown, but nevertheless, I had THAT KID. The kid that requires two lifeguards to follow him around because he is already an adrenaline junkie.
So we left early. Because I just couldn’t anymore…
At which point we got home, I went inside to put the bags in the house and immediately returned to the garage to summon him inside. He decided it would be a good idea to climb in the pile of boxes waiting to be organized and go pee.
What is it with boys and peeing everywhere?
My solution? make the other male in the house deal with it…
On a positive note, Octavian inhaled his dinner. He finally decided ranch dressing and ketchup are the best things ever and now it goes on everything (as long as the ratio is about 50/50 ranch to food).
He is definitely my child (I used to eat the ketchup out of the little packets as a snack).
In non-parenthood news, you should make this salad.
Eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner, this salad makes no judgement. Loaded with fresh greens, fiber-filled lentils, sweet berries and topped with protein packed eggs, this salad has everything your body could possibly need or want (except chocolate- let’s not forget that).
Warm Lentil and Farro Salad with Fried Egg and BlackberriesPrint Recipe Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion - sliced
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1/4 cup green onions - chopped
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1.5 tablespoons water - if needed
- 1 cup cooked farro
- 1 cup cooked beluga lentils - or other favorite lentil
- Olive oil or butter - for frying
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups fresh arugula - (2 generous handfuls)
- radish sprouts
- Garnish: radish sprouts
- Fresh or Frozen blackberries - although most fruit would taste great here
- cherry tomatoes
- chopped green onions
- sliced fresno chilies (red jalapeños)
- Heat the olive oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add the sliced onion and sauté for 6-7 minutes, or until the onions start to soften and caramelize. Stir periodically.
- Add the minced garlic and green onions to the skillet and stir to combine. Sauté for 1-2 minutes before adding the white miso paste, mustard, soy sauce and water (if needed).
- Once warmed through, reduce heat to medium low and add the cooked farro and beluga lentils. Stir to combine.
- In a separate, smaller skillet, heat olive oil or butter (approximately 1-2 teaspoons) over medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium low and fry desired number of eggs until whites are set and edges are crispy, but the yokes are runny.
- Build your breakfast salad bowl. Add a could handfuls of fresh arugula to a shallow plate and top with miso farro, 1-2 fried eggs and any other desired toppings such as, sprouts, fruit, tomatoes, green onion and fresno chilies (aka red jalapeños).
- Best served immediately.