Before becoming a mom I swore I wouldn’t park my child in front of the television. Since, you know, the television is practically poison, or something.
But then I became a mom.
And quickly learned that I had no idea what I was talking about.
Don’t worry, guys, this isn’t a post about the “rights” and “wrongs” of childhood screen time. But when I sat down to write this post, at 7am on a Saturday morning, with my 3 year old cuddled by my side and Clifford playing in the background, I couldn’t help but giggle.
I was breaking so many of the “rules” I swore I would never break. But then I reminded myself that just 10 minutes before that we were reading a book together, my 3 year old following and repeating each word with his finger.
In other words, balance.
Besides, some of my favorite childhood memories are from Saturday mornings packed in on the couch with my siblings watching cartoons. And we all turned out ok.
Anywho, let’s talk about this salad.
This is one seriously awesome summer salad, you guys!
If you love nectarines and greens, then this salad was made for you. Fresh spring peas, avocado, cucumber, sweet cherry tomato, fresh mint and basil and easy shredded chicken all piled on top of a bed of fresh greens.
You guys, this salad screams SUMMER!
and it is so super fresh!
Besides, with the crazy summer heat, this makes a perfect easy dinner that doesn’t require the oven! For even easier prep, pick up a rotisserie chicken and chop veggies the night before.
- 1 head romaine lettuce finely chopped
- 1/2 head green cabbage shredded
- 1/2 small purple cabbage shredded
- 1 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves chopped
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves chopped
- 1 carrot shredded
- 1/2 English cucumber sliced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 radish sliced
- 1 red fresno chili thinly sliced (optional)
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 2 nectarines thinly sliced
- 1 ripe avocado pitted and cubed
- 1 lime
- 2 small cooked chicken breasts shredded
- Black and toasted sesame seeds
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 inch peeled ginger chopped
- 1 ripe nectarine cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- water if needed
- 1 teaspoons sugar
- salt + pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients for the Nectarine Sesame Dressing in the bowl of a high powered blender and process until smoother and creamy. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place all ingredients for the salad in a large bowl and carefully toss to combine. Drizzle with desired amount of dressing, sprinkle with additional sesame seeds, and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Heather Christo