Some days (translation: 99% of the days) I need something easy to cook for dinner.
Bonus points if it includes leftovers.
Super super bonus points if it’s healthy AND requires minimal dishes.
These are like golden miracle dinners for most moms. I am just a mom to one (very spirited) child. I can only begin to imagine what dinner prep would be like if I had more than one little one to keep track of while also monitoring multiple pans on the stove. Since I know what dinner prep looks like with my one child (and puppy), just the thought sends me running to the phone to order take-out.
But wait! Freeze. RED LIGHT.
That’s riiiight. Sometimes dinner can be easy.
Say Hello! to the easiest dinner EVER!. This Mexican quinoa skillet is not just easy, but also delicious and totally satisfying. Packed full of fiber and protein filled foods like quinoa and black beans, this vegetarian dinner will leave you and your family with one happy tummy.
And veggies! We can’t forget the veggies! Sweet corn, bell pepper tomatoes and zucchini (and any other veggies you can think of!)
Finally, this skillet wouldn’t be complete without cheese and avocado (and chipotle lime crema if you’re me). If your kiddo loves cheese and avocado they’ll never know about all the other sneaky veggies in their dinner (unfortunately, Octavian hates avocado).
One Skillet Mexican Quinoa with Chipotle Lime CremaPrint Recipe Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion - chopped
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 jalapeno - finely chopped
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 15 oz black beans - one 15-ounce can, drained and rinsed
- 14.5 oz fire-roasted diced tomatoes - one 14.5 ounce can
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 red bell pepper - seeded and chopped
- 2 zucchini - chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- salt + pepper - to taste
- 2 avocados - halved, seeded, peeled and diced
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 cup mozarella cheese - shredded
- Chopped fresh cilantro - for serving
- Chipotle lime crema - for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until just starting to soften. Add garlic and jalapeno and mix well. Cook for an additional minute, stirring frequently.
- Stir in quinoa, vegetable broth, beans, tomatoes, corn, bell pepper, zucchini, chili powder, cumin, chipotle powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a low boil, cover skillet, and reduce heat to a simmer until quinoa is cooked through, approximately 20 minutes.
- Stir in avocado, lime juice, mozzarella cheese and cilantro and top with fresh chipotle lime crema! Serve warm!