These Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats are a fun, festive, and chocolaty twist on the classic, much-loved Rice Krispie Treat Bars.
Made with chocolate rice cereal, mini Butterfinger candy bars, peanut butter cups and, of course, marshmallows, these awesome and delicious peanut butter Rice Krispie treats are all the sweet memories of childhood rolled into one easy treat.
Some of my favorite memories from childhood include baking with my mom; aprons on, hands sticky, eating an extra marshmallow every chance we could get. Now, as a mom myself, I share these same memories with Octavian…
Just kidding. That child of mine is in it just for the marshmallows.
Regardless, these sweet little cereal bars are a little piece of happiness and a whole lot of memories.
Ingredients in these Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Chocolate rice cereal
- Mini marshmallows
- Fun size Butterfingers
- Peanut butter cups
- Dark melting chocolate
- Creamy peanut butter
- Ground cinnamon
Basically, think of all the healthiest things in the world and mix it all together. Just kidding. This is not diet food, but that ok! For today anyhow.
How to make these Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Step 1. Line a large 9 x 13-inch pan with parchment paper. Guys, this is super important. Why? Because it makes removing your delicious peanut butter Rice Krispie Treats from the pan a piece of cake.
- Step 2. Mix together the chocolate Rice Krispies, mini marshmallows, and halved Butterfinger bars. You’ll need a big bowl for this. Probably the biggest one you’ve got.
- Step 3. Melt the dark chocolate. You can do this using a double boiler (my preferred method) or in the microwave. The double boiler method always gives smoother, silkier results with less room for error. As the chocolate begins to melt, stir continuously with a wood spoon taking care not to allow any steam or moisture to escape from the pot below.
- Step 4. With the chocolate almost melted, stir in the peanut butter, honey or maple syrup and ground cinnamon. Gently stir until fully combined.
- Step 5. Remove the fully chocolate peanut butter mixture from the heat and allow to cool slightly before pouring directly into the bowl with the rice cereal. Mix the you-know-what out of it.
- Transfer to the prepared pan and press firmly into the bottom. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
Tips on making the best Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Line your baking pan. Yes, I mentioned this already, but it deserved to be mentioned again. Just in case…
- Regular Rice Krispie cereal will taste great, but I highly recommend the chocolate version. Go big or go home, my friends.
- Keep the Butterfinger bars big and chunky. In other words, I highly recommend that you do not just crush the Butterfingers into small bits.
- Store these beauties in plastic wrap to keep them fresh for as long as possible.
- Let them cool and set in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. It is chocolate and chocolate likes to melt.
- Use a large piece of parchment paper to help evenly distribute and press down on the Rice Krispie mixture.
You may also enjoy these other sweet treats
- Sprinkle Confetti Cookies
- Cherry Coffee Cake Recipe
- Chocolate Covered Cheesecake Bites
- Blackberry and Blueberry Galette with Rosemary
- No Churn Blackberry and Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream
- Best Ever Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Halloween Monster Mash Party Mix
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE FORKED SPOON NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- 8 cups chocolate Rice Krispies
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 (11.5 ounce) bag fun size Butterfinger - wrapper removed and halved
- 6 Peanut Butter Cups - wrapping removed and quartered
- 10 oz dark melting chocolate - chopped
- ⅔ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon - (optional)
- Line a 9x13 inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the chocolate Rice Krispies, mini marshmallows, halved Butterfinger bars and quartered peanut butter cups. Gently toss to mix and set aside.
- In the top pan (or bowl) of a double boiler over low heat add the chocolate. As the chocolate begins to melt, stir continuously with a wood spoon taking care not to allow any steam or moisture to escape from the pot below. With the chocolate almost melted, stir in the peanut butter, honey or maple syrup and ground cinnamon. Gently stir until fully combined.
- Remove the melted chocolate peanut butter mixture from the heat and set aside to cool for approximately 5 minutes or so.
- When cool enough to handle, pour the chocolate mixture directly over the cereal mixture, stirring to evenly distribute the chocolate and peanut butter with the dry ingredients. Scrape down the sides as needed.
- Transfer mixture to the prepared pan and press firmly into the bottom. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours to overnight. When fully cooled remove from the pan and cut into desired number of bars. Enjoy!
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)