When it comes to making affordable and tasty homemade sauces, this easy BBQ Sauce is definitely a win. Bursting with sweet, tangy, and savory flavors, this perfectly seasoned Southern-inspired sauce with grated onion adds irresistible flavor to all of your favorite dishes.
Why You’ll Love Easy BBQ Sauce
With so many prepared BBQ sauces on the market, why not make a better, more delicious one with fewer preservatives right at home? Perfectly sweetened with brown sugar, honey, and molasses, this lip-smackingly good sauce starts with an easy ketchup base. Apple cider vinegar, apple juice, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, chili powder, and cayenne give this fridge staple condiment its distinct BBQ taste.
This versatile sauce goes perfectly with traditional Southern beef brisket, pulled pork, and ribs but also makes a great marinade for air fryer chicken legs or a yummy dip for your kids’ favorite chicken nuggets. If you want to make this sauce recipe vegan, simply swap the butter for coconut oil.
How to Make BBQ Sauce
In a medium size saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic in butter until the onions are soft, approximately 4-5 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients, and bring the sauce to a simmer. Cook on low for 15-20 minutes and make any taste adjustments with salt, sugar, and vinegar before removing from the heat. Allow the sauce to cool slightly before serving.
How to puree the sauce
If you don’t want the slight texture from the grated onion in your sauce, simply use a hand-held immersion blender, food processor, or high-speed blender to puree the sauce until smooth.
Storing BBQ Sauce
Keep leftover bbq sauce stored in an airtight jar or container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
More Delicious BBQ-Inspired Recipes
- Cranberry BBQ Turkey Pizza Pie
- BBQ Chicken Dip Recipe
- Bulgogi Korean BBQ Beef Lettuce Wraps
- Cherry BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- Pulled Pork Recipe
If you try making this Easy BBQ Sauce Recipe, please leave me a comment and let me know! I always love to hear your thoughts.
Easy BBQ Sauce
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion - grated
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 cups ketchup
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup apple juice
- ¼ cup worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon molasses
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt - to taste
- In a medium size sauce pan heat butter over medium high heat. Add grated onion and minced garlic and mix well. Cook onion and garlic over medium heat, stirring frequently, until onions are soft, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Gently mix in remaining ingredients and bring sauce to a simmer. Allow mixture to cook on low for 15-20 minutes, taste, and make any additions you see necessary (sugar, vinegar, salt).
- Remove from heat and allow sauce to cool slightly before serving with your favorite dishes.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)