Smoked Gouda transforms everyone’s favorite broccoli soup into a smoky, dreamy, creamy, and veggie-filled wintertime Smoked Gouda Broccoli Soup.Jump to Recipe
One of my favorite soups is broccoli and cheese soup. I’ve loved it for as long as I can remember. Even as a kid, there was so much creamy, cheesy goodness I couldn’t even tell there was broccoli in there. As a kid, this was exactly how I liked to eat my vegetables. But now, all grown up and nearly middle-aged (oh my), I’ve learned to love vegetables without so much stuff covering them up.
That said, I still love the occasional bowl of broccoli and cheese soup. Always and forever.
However, recently I’ve been changing it up. Instead of tons of cream and cheddar cheese, I added a white potato for creaminess and smoked Gouda for a more grownup taste. The result? Amazing, fantastic, delicious, Smoked Gouda Broccoli Soup.
You guys. How is it that smoked Gouda is so good? No exaggeration, I could eat smoked Gouda every single day. Crazy considering I avoided this cheese for years and years without ever having tried it.
My logic? I knew I didn’t care for “smoky” bbq sauce, so surely I wouldn’t like smoked Gouda. OMG, this makes no sense. Don’t be like me, just try it.
Anyway, smoked Gouda cheese and broccoli soup are a perfect match. If you’re wondering if this Smoked Gouda Broccoli Soup is “healthy”, well, I would say that it lays somewhere in the middle. It definitely isn’t a light vegetable broth soup, but it also isn’t filled with heavy cream like traditional broccoli cheddar soup. I’ll let you decide 🙂
Smoked Gouda and Broccoli Soup
- 2 pounds broccoli chopped into florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 russet potato scrubbed and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika optional
- 6-8 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup smoked gouda cheese shredded, plus more for topping
- 8 ounces broccolini
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt + pepper to taste
- Chop broccoli into small bite-size florets. Set aside.
- Add olive oil to a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté for 4-5 minutes, or until starting to soften. Stir occasionally. Add the chopped potato to the pot and continue to cook for an additional 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Sprinkle vegetables with flour and paprika and stir to combine. Add the water or vegetable broth to the pot with the chopped broccoli florets and bring to a boil. When boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for approximately 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the broccolini. Preheat oven to 400 F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss broccolini with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until broccoli is tender.
- Puree the soup in batches using a high-speed blender, or use an immersion blender if you have one available. Return soup to the pot and add the shredded cheese. Stir well until cheese has melted and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve each bowl topped with prepared broccolini and additional smoked gouda cheese, if desired.