Rice Pudding (Arroz con Leche) is a deliciously creamy 3-step dessert recipe made with rice, milk, sugar, and almond extract. Enjoy this Almond Rice Pudding Recipe with sweet golden raisins, slivered almonds, and maple syrup for an extra special treat the whole family will love!
Ingredients in Rice Pudding (Arroz con Leche)
- white rice
- almond extract
- maple syrup
What is rice-pudding?
Rice pudding is a comforting dish made of cooked rice that is mixed with milk or water, and often includes sugar and spices, such as cinnamon. Found all over the world, rice pudding may be sweet or savory, boiled or baked, warm or cold.
Most rice pudding recipes typically include these fundamental ingredients,
- rice– usually short or long-grain white rice
- milk– the type of milk used will depend on the recipe. For sweeter rice pudding recipes, one may choose to use sweetened condensed milk, for creamier rice pudding recipes, one may choose to add cream or whole milk.
- sweetener– sugar, honey, maple syrup, sweetened condensed milk.
- flavoring– different flavorings and extracts can turn a classic rice pudding dish into a completely different recipe. In this recipe, for example, I added almond extract. A popular addition is pure vanilla extract. Other flavorful additions may include orange or lemon extract, as well as different nuts and dried fruits.
- spices– cinnamon is hugely popular, in addition to cardamom and nutmeg.
Can you use pre-cooked rice in rice pudding?
Yes, you can… However, when you make rice pudding this way you will be missing out on half the flavor!
Pre-cooked rice will have been cooked in water rather than milk and sugar. I don’t know about you guys, but if I had to choose which rice I’d rather eat it would definitely be the latter.
For this rice pudding recipe, you will be starting with uncooked rice.
How to make rice pudding (stove-top)
- Cook the rice in milk. In a medium heavy-bottomed pot, bring the rice, milk, sugar, and salt to a low boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the rice from sticking and burning to the bottom of the pot.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in the almond extract, cinnamon, and golden raisins. At this step, add any spices or flavorings.
- Transfer the rice pudding to a container and cover with plastic wrap. Allow the rice pudding to cool at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Transfer to the refrigerator to chill for 4 hours to overnight. This allows the rice pudding to get nice and creamy and thicken up.
- Serve with additional raisins, slivered almonds, and maple syrup, if desired.
Anyway, whether you know you love rice pudding, or have no idea what the stuff is, I highly recommend this recipe. It’s uncomplicated, fast and quite delicious. The addition of almond extract and less added sugar helps make this rice pudding creamy-sweet, rather than just sweet-sweet. Top with candied slivered almonds and golden raisins and a drizzle of maple syrup and this delicious dessert will be gone before you know it!
If you try cooking this Rice Pudding Recipe, please leave me a comment and let me know! I always love to hear your thoughts.
For more dessert recipes check out,
- Cherry Coffee Cake Recipe
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake
- Apple Donuts
- Spiced Butternut Squash Chia Pudding
- Persimmon Pumpkin Pudding Cake
- Sweet Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal Stuffed Acorn Squash with Almond Butter
DON’T FORGET TO PIN THIS EASY RICE PUDDING (ARROZ CON LECHE) TO MAKE FOR A FAST, EASY, AND COMFORTING DESSERT THE WHOLE FAMILY WILL LOVE.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE FORKED SPOON NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
Almond Rice Pudding (Arroz con Leche)
- Cook the rice in milk. In a medium heavy-bottomed pot, bring the rice, milk, sugar, and salt to a low boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the rice from sticking and burning to the bottom of the pot. The rice is ready when it is tender, but not mushy.
- Remove the rice from heat and stir in the almond extract, ground cinnamon, and golden raisins.
- Transfer cooked rice to a container and cover with plastic wrap. Allow rice to cool for 30 minutes at room temperature before transferring to the refrigerator to chill four hours to overnight.
- When ready to serve, top with slivered almonds, additional golden raisins and maple syrup or honey, if desired.