This Easy Black Bean Soup Recipe is made with basic pantry essentials including canned black beans, onion, carrots, and celery. Filled with hearty plant-based protein and gut-loving fiber, enjoy this healthy and delicious vegan soup with all your favorite toppings including salsa, sour cream, avocado, and more!
Quick and Easy Black Bean Soup
There are so many delicious ways to enjoy black beans and this is one of my favorites. Made with canned black beans, onions, carrot, and celery, plus a hint of cumin, fresh lime juice, and salsa, this hearty soup is healthy, flavorful, and ready in just 30 minutes.
This soup is also,
- Naturally vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free.
- High in protein and fiber.
- Versatile! Easily add animal protein or additional veggies.
- Delicious leftover for up to 5-7 days.
How to Make Black Bean Soup
For the full list and amounts of ingredients, scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
1. Soften the veggies
Since the black beans are already cooked, you’ll want to soften the onions, carrots, and celery first. To do this, heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion first. Cook for 4-5 minutes before adding the jalapeno, celery, and carrots. Continue to cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring often.
In the last two minutes stir in the minced garlic and water (or broth). Cover your pot and allow the vegetables to simmer for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add the beans and simmer
Once the vegetables have softened, add the beans. I added five cans of black beans total – three cans were added with all of its liquid, and two cans were drained, but not rinsed. Adding the liquid gives it a thicker, richer taste. If you prefer to rinse and drain all your beans – that’s ok too. Simply replace some of the liquid with water.
Add the salsa (or diced tomatoes) and season with ground cumin, salt, pepper, and fresh lime juice. Bring to a low boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often to prevent the beans from burning to the bottom of the pot.
- Additional salsa
- Hot sauce
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Fresh cilantro
What to Serve with Black Bean Soup
This black bean soup recipe is a delicious and filling stand-alone meal. While low in fat, it’s packed with protein, fiber, carbohydrates, and veggies.
Add a couple of fried eggs on top! Still vegetarian (not vegan) and perfect for anyone looking to eat more protein.
Add a scoop of brown rice, roasted butternut squash, or keep it extra simple with toasted buttered bread.
Can you freeze leftovers?
Bean soups freeze extremely well. Allow your pot too cool completely before transferring contents to a freezer-safe container or ziplock bag. For best results, hold off on adding toppings to the entire pot of soup. Instead, add them to individual bowls once reheated and served.
More Soup Recipes,
If you try making this Easy Black Bean Soup Recipe, please leave me a comment and let me know! I always love to hear your thoughts.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE FORKED SPOON NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
Easy Black Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion - diced
- 1 jalapeno - diced (optional)
- 2 stalks celery - chopped
- 3 large carrots - peeled and chopped
- 5 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 cup water - or broth
- 5 (15 ounce) cans black beans - 3 cans with all liquid, 2 cans drained but not rinsed
- 1/2 cup salsa - homemade or storebought (see notes)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- salt and pepper - to taste
- 1 lime - juiced
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, for 4-5 minutes or until the onions turn translucent. Add the jalapeno, celery, and carrots. Continue to cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring often. In the last two minutes stir in the minced garlic and water (or broth), mixing well to combine. Cover, and allow vegetables to steam for 2-3 minutes.
- Once vegetables have softened (the celery typically takes the longest), add the black beans. I added three cans of black beans with all the liquid. The other two cans were drained, but not rinsed.
- Add the salsa (or diced tomatoes) and season with ground cumin, salt, pepper, and fresh lime juice. Bring to a low boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often to prevent the beans from burning to the bottom of the pot.
- Serve warm topped with additional salsa, hot sauce, sour cream (non-vegan), cheese (non-vegan), avocado, or crushed tortilla chips.
- If you don't have any salsa on hand, 1 (15 ounce) can of diced tomatoes will also work great.
- Leftovers are best enjoyed within 5-7 days.
- This black bean soup recipe (without toppings) is naturally gluten-free, vegan, and dairy-free.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)