This 5-MINUTE HOMEMADE PICO DE GALLO is a must-have recipe for anyone who loves to eat food. Made with fresh tomatoes, white onion, zesty lime juice, serrano peppers, and cilantro, this healthy condiment can be enjoyed with chicken, eggs, salad, and of course, all the Mexican food.
Salsa is one of the easiest ways to add extra flavor and life to nearly any dish and including these Salsa Verde Cauliflower and Lentil Tacos with Mango Pomegranate Salsa, Corn and goat cheese fritters with cherry and tomato salsa, and Salmon Tostadas with Pineapple Mango Salsa.
Pico de Gallo, if you’re doing it right, shouldn’t feel complicated. In fact, after making it the first time, it should feel so uncomplicated that you could make it in your sleep.
Exaggeration, of course, as that is basically impossible (I think?), but you should be able to dish out a big bowl of this fresh, delicious, and HEALTHY, Pico de Gallo in just 5-minutes flat!
INGREDIENTS IN THIS 5-MINUTE EASY PICO DE GALLO RECIPE
- Roma (or plum) tomatoes
- White onion
- Serrano chili
- Lime juice
Pretty basic stuff, right?
Of course, if you’re sensitive to spicy foods you can leave out the Serrano chilis, or if you can’t find Serranos in your local market, Jalapeño peppers work well, too.
And the tomatoes? Get the best ones you can find. In other words, ripe, firm, and fragrant. Or, do the best you can. I find that a slightly less ripe tomato is better than one that is just on the brink of turning soggy and rotten. I prefer a firmer tomato any day of the week.
OTHER THINGS TO MIX IN THIS HOMEMADE PICO DE GALLO RECIPE
I like to say there are no “rules” when cooking. So, please, add whatever floats your boat. But, if it were me…
- Avocado. this should go without saying.
- Fruit. diced strawberry, mango, pineapple…
- Chopped shrimp. for a complete meal!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE FORKED SPOON NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
5-MINUTE HOMEMADE PICO DE GALLO
- 10 roma (plum) tomatoes - sliced in half with seeds scooped out
- 1/2 large white onion - finely diced
- 1 lime - juiced
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro - finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - crushed and minced
- 2 serrano peppers - seeded and diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Prepare the tomatoes. Slice each tomato in half lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop the seeds and liquid from the center. Chop the tomatoes into small, equal size pieces. Approximately twice the size of the onions.
- Transfer the diced tomato, onion, lime juice, cilantro, garlic, serrano peppers, and salt to a medium bowl and mix to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.