All about crunch and color, this Cabbage and Cashew Salad with Miso Vinaigrette is light, refreshing, and full of bold flavors.
I made this gorgeous and EASY Salad with Miso Vinaigrette weeks ago when I was trying to detox from all the meat I consumed while traveling in New Zealand. I was looking for something light and refreshing, while at the same time, I wanted a salad that left me full and satisfied.
My friends, this Cabbage and Cashew Salad with Miso Vinaigrette was exactly what I was looking for. Loaded with crunchy delicious goodness from the cabbage and celery, you actually need to sit and chew and enjoy this salad.
OK, just kidding. I’m a Mom. Enjoying food at a leisurely pace is something that rarely happens, BUT, you definitely can’t just shove this into your mouth. This may not be high on your priority list, but for me, a person who is usually moving a 100 miles per hour, this forced slow down is welcome. Plus, it helps contribute to making me feel fuller, longer.
You know, mind games.
Anyway, salad with miso vinaigrette. Or, just the miso vinaigrette itself. The very best homemade dressing in the creation of homemade salad dressings. Trust me on this one.
You can totally customize the salad how you like- you don’t HAVE to have everything you see there in your own bowl. That said, I highly recommend the cabbage, green onion, avocado, edamame, and cashews. All those things are pretty much the best.
Oh YES! And the mint. Let’s not forget about mint and cilantro. Two essential herbs in any Asian inspired dish. Plus, they add a fresh factor that you can’t get from anything else. Trust me…again.
On that note, enjoy 🙂 and relax!
Cabbage and Cashew Salad with Miso Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup red miso paste
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1-2 tsp Sriracha - (omit if sensitive to spicy foods)
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- water - if needed
- 1 head napa cabbage - chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro - chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves - chopped
- 1 cup green onion - chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil - chopped
- 3 stalks celery - chopped
- 3-4 large julienne-cut carrots
- 1 small red onion - thinly sliced
- 1 medium watermelon radish - peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium diakon radish - peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup edamame
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews - (or peanuts)
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 large ripe avocado - peeled and chopped
- Prepare the Miso vinaigrette by combining the rice vinegar, red miso paste, canola oil, sesame oil, soy sauce, Sriracha, lime juice, honey, garlic, and ginger in a medium bowl. Whisk well to combine, adding water, 1 tablespoon at a time, to dilute if the vinaigrette is too thick. Season to taste with additional miso paste or soy sauce for salt, honey for sweetness, and rice vinegar for tang.
- Add the chopped cabbage, cilantro, mint, green onion, and basil to a large salad bowl and toss to combine. Add the chopped celery, carrots, red onion, radish, and edamame. Gently toss again just until combined.
- Finish the salad by sprinkling with the roasted cashews and sesame seeds and topping with fresh avocado. Drizzle with the desired amount of Miso vinaigrette.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)
If you love this Salad with Miso Vinaigrette, you may also enjoy-