Making these Cherry Overnight Oats for Breakfast? Dessert? Who knows, and who cares! It’s delicious, Gluten Free and super good for you!
I went to the market early this week and bought a huge bag of cherries. As I’m sure you know, cherry season is nearly over; what you may not know, however, is that I love love cherries. If they weren’t so expensive, I would probably eat an entire (big) bag of these on the regular. For the sake of my bank account, I decided to buy this bag of cherries and see how many recipes I could make with it (sorry, guys. I did not weigh the bag- one thing I never do when I shop, but should probably start).
Anyway, this was the first of three recipes and the perfect midweek treat (no, these are not from today. I’m not that fast with turnaround time). Creamy overnight oats (a huge favorite around here), loads of sweet cherries, crunchy cocoa nibs and, my favorite part, banana cherry nice cream.
If you have some cherries or can get your hands on cherries, I can assure you, you want to make this. Perfect any time of day, it is also the perfect (HEALTHY) treat to curb all those annoying dessert cravings. Or fuel up after a hard workout. Or just because.
Cherry Overnight Oats with Cherry Banana Nice Cream
FOR THE OVERNIGHT OATS
FOR THE CHERRY BANANA NICE CREAM
- 2 ripe bananas (sliced and frozen)
- 1 cup cherries (frozen pitted)
- 1 tablespoon agave (optional)
- Fresh pitted cherries
- Cocoa Nibs
- Additional chopped nuts or seeds
- In a large bowl or jar thoroughly combine the oats, water, yogurt, nuts, honey, lemon juice, vanilla extract and chopped cherries. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours to overnight.
- When ready to serve, prepare the cherry banana nice cream.
- In the bowl of a food processor, place the frozen cherries and frozen sliced bananas. Pulse several times and scrape down the sides. Process and scrape sides until smooth and creamy "ice cream" results. Drizzle in the agave and process once more time.
- Divide overnight oats and nice cream to serving bowls and top with desired toppings.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)