This creamy, comforting, traditional Chicken Pot Pie Soup with Buttermilk Biscuit Crumbs is great for any cold rainy night.
Sometimes, I have so much to say that I don’t know where to start. When I do start it flows from my mouth so fast that I usually don’t make any sense or I seem so confused/self-absorbed people wonder if I’ve lost my mind.
Other times, like right now, I have nothing.
That does not mean nothing is going on up in that brain of mine. In fact, I’d say it’s quite the opposite. Currently, my brain is so full of stuff that it’s like one big, fat, giant rats nest up in there. Everything is all tangled up.
Sometimes writing is helpful when my thoughts get messy; other times it feels like a chore. Right now, it’s the latter.
Instead of trying to unload all my stuff on you guys, because seriously, I don’t even know what it is right now, I’ll just leave you guys with a (SUPER easy to make) comforting bowl of soup.
Chicken Pot Pie Soup with Buttermilk Biscuit Crumbles.
Creamy, comforting and just what my body needed on this cold, rainy Sunday night.
I’m lazy, so those buttermilk biscuits are definitely not homemade. Just buy a tube of your fave brand and you’re good to go! Or, you can make homemade (show off).
I hope you had a wonderful weekend!
And for those of you that joined the March yesterday, whether in-person or in-spirit, ya’ll are my heroes. What a historic weekend to remember!
Chicken Pot Pie Soup with Buttermilk Biscuit Crumbles
- 1 tube buttermilk biscuits, or you could make homemade
- 3 cups boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large yellow onion
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 carrots, quartered lengthwise and chopped
- salt, to taste
- 4 stalks celery, halved lengthwise and chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 pouch concentrated low sodium chicken flavor
- 4 heaping tbsp flour
- 5.5 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1.5 cups frozen peas
- 1 cup milk, I used 2%
- 1/4 cup half and half, more or less if desired
- fresh parsley, chopped for topping
For the Biscuit Crumble
- Preheat oven according to package instructions and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Pop open tube of biscuits and break apart each biscuit into small balls- each approximately the size of a ping-pong ball.
- Bake the crumbles for approximately 10 minutes, or until lightly golden and fully cooked (cooking times will vary).
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
- If you have a favorite home-made biscuit recipe, feel free to use that! I was feeling lazy.
For the Soup
- In a large pot or Dutch oven melt butter over medium high heat.
- Add the onion to the pot and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic, carrots, celery, parsley, salt and pepper to the pot and stir to mix. Continue to cook the vegetables for 4-5 minutes, or just until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the concentrated low sodium chicken flavor to the vegetables and stir to mix.
- Slowly sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir everything together until completely combined. Allow vegetables to cook for 1-2 minutes before slowly pouring in the chicken broth, stirring the entire time to prevent the flour from clumping.
- Reduce heat to medium and bring the soup to a simmer. Partially cover the pot with the lid and simmer for approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir in the shredded chicken, frozen peas, milk and half and half.
- Return soup to a simmer (do NOT boil, as this will curdle the broth).
- Once heated through, serve soup and top each bowl with biscuit crumbles and fresh chopped parsley.