Enjoy fresh baked Cornbread – ready in just 30 minutes- with this delicious, moist, and buttery Cornbread Recipe. Crispy golden edges and perfect fluffy center, this recipe is made with simple ingredients and no mixer required!
The Best Cornbread Recipe
There are at least a million different versions of cornbread floating around the internet, old recipe boxes, or in cookbooks. From southern cornbread to jalapeno, corn studded cornbread or those made with creamed corn, I could easily devote an entire blog just to the million different varieties.
But I won’t. Maybe some other time.
Instead, I’m going to share this super easy recipe for what I like to call the very BEST cornbread recipe. It checks all the must-have boxes,
- Buttery – but not greasy
- Crispy edges, golden top
- Moist and fluffy center
- No fancy, heavy-duty mixer
- Sweet, but not so sweet that your kids mistake it for cake
What is the Best Cornmeal for Cornbread?
Before we talk about how to make delicious cornbread, let’s chat about the CORNMEAL. After all, you are going to need some cornmeal.
Cornmeal is made by grinding dried maize (corn). You will find cornmeal in fine, medium, and coarse consistencies, with very fine cornmeal referred to as cornflour here in the United States.
What is the best cornmeal to use in cornbread? The answer is a largely personal preference. Cornbread made with coarse cornmeal will be more rustic and less tender and fluffy when compared to cornbread made with fine cornmeal (but that’s kinda the point, right?)
I like to use medium grind cornmeal. A happy middle-ground.
How to Make Cornbread
Scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom of the page for the full list and amounts of ingredients needed to make your very own homemade cornbread right at home.
This cornbread recipe is incredibly easy to make.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease (I like to use butter) and lightly flour an 8-inch or 9-inch square baking pan. Set aside.
Mix dry ingredients – In a large mixing bowl whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
Mix wet ingredients – In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted (and slightly cooled) butter, brown sugar, and honey until thoroughly combined. Next, add the egg and whisk until incorporated. Finally, add the buttermilk, whisking thoroughly until smooth.
- Pro-tip: It’s important that the egg and buttermilk be brought to room temperature before mixing with the melted butter otherwise the butter will immediately solidify. Conversely, it’s important that the butter cool slightly before the egg is added so as not to start cooking the egg.
Combine – Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix well to combine – try to avoid over-mixing.
Bake – Transfer the batter into your prepared baking pan. Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the top is golden with crispy edges. Allow your cornbread to cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
How to store leftover cornbread:
I recommend keeping leftover cornbread wrapped in plastic wrap, stored at room temperature (out of direct sunlight). You may also keep it stored in a container with a tight-fitting lid to prevent it from drying out. Leftovers are good for up to 5-7 days.
To freeze, simply wrap in plastic wrap and transfer to a container with a tight-fitting lid (the container will prevent it from getting smushed). Transfer and keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Topping and Serving Ideas
Yes, this recipe is amazing straight out of the oven. However, I would be doing you a very big disservice if I didn’t mention a few of my favorite ways to top and serve this cornbread recipe.
Amazing cornbread toppings:
- MORE BUTTER (bonus points if the butter is salted)
- Maple syrup and bacon (OMG, trust me)
Serve your cornbread with:
- Chili – Classic chili, steak chili, vegetarian chili (they’re all good)
- Stew – Brunswick stew, Pork Green Chili Stew, Goulash
- Coleslaw and pulled pork
More Bread Recipes,
If you try making this Easy Cornbread Recipe, please leave me a comment and let me know! I always love to hear your thoughts.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE FORKED SPOON NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!
Easy Cornbread Recipe
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease (I like to use butter) and flour an 8 or 9-inch square baking pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted and slightly cooled butter, brown sugar, and honey until thoroughly combined. Next, add the egg and whisk until incorporated. Finally, add the buttermilk, whisking thoroughly until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix well to combine - try to avoid over-mixing.
- Transfer the batter into the greased baking pan and to the preheated oven. Baked for approximately 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the top is golden with crispy edges. Allow your cornbread to cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
- Keep leftovers wrapped in plastic wrap and at room temperature. Best enjoyed within 5-7 days.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)