Soft, moist, and super fluffy, this Sweet Cornbread Recipe is my favorite side dish to serve throughout the fall and winter months. Super easy to make with simple ingredients like cornmeal, sugar, buttermilk, honey, and butter, it pairs perfectly with a hot bowl of chili or soup.
The Best Cornbread Recipe
If you’re looking for a sweet cornbread recipe to enjoy with your next pot of homemade chili, this may just be the one! Sweeter than my easy cornbread recipe – but not too sweet that it’s mistaken for cake – it has just the right amount of sweetness.
Moist and soft with crispy golden edges my favorite way to enjoy this delicious cornbread is with a thick smear of salted butter and a drizzle of sweet honey, but it’s also the perfect cornbread recipe to enjoy with savory meats, chili, and stew.
How to Make Sweet Cornbread
1. Preheat your oven to 375 °F and grease a 9×9-inch pan.
2. Combine the dry ingredients (the all-purpose flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt) in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (the eggs, milk, honey, and melted butter).
3. Then, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold together until just combined. Avoid overmixing as it will result in denser cornbread.
4. Rest the batter for 10 minutes, then pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
5. Allow the cornbread to rest and cool for 20 minutes or so before slicing and serving with butter and honey if desired.
- Skillet Cornbread: This recipe can also be baked in a 9-inch or 10-inch cast iron skillet. Begin by placing your skillet in the oven and preheating the oven to 425°F (220°C). Once the oven is preheated, remove the skillet and add 1-2 tablespoons of butter to the skillet. Swirl to coat. Immediately add the prepared batter to the hot skillet (the batter will sizzle – that’s a good thing!) Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean.
- Cornbread Muffins: For a fun twist, try making corn muffins. Start by preheating your oven to 400°F (200°C). Grease a standard 12-cup muffin tin or line it with paper liners. Use a spoon to divide the prepared batter evenly among the muffin cups – they should be about 2/3 to 3/4 full. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the tops of the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Optional Additions: Try adding some chopped jalapeños for a spicy kick or grated cheese like cheddar or pepper jack. You could even add whole corn kernels for a little texture.
What to Serve with Sweet Cornbread
Cornbread is wonderful with so many delicious savory dishes – and even a handful of sweet dishes. Here are some ideas:
- Chili: Of course, when I think of cornbread, I immediately think of chili. From classic chili to steak chili, white chicken chili, and vegetarian chili, all chili recipes deserve a slice of sweet buttery cornbread.
- BBQ: The sweetness perfectly contrasts the savory smokiness of pulled pork, brisket, and ribs.
- Soups, Stews, and Beans: Some of my favorites include these pinto beans with bacon, red beans and rice, Boston baked beans, vegetable beef soup, and beef and barley soup.
- Fried Chicken and Fish
- Whipped Cream and Fruit: With a little whipped cream and sweet berries, this sweet cornbread could easily transform into a delicious dessert.
- Spreads: Try smearing with butter, jam, cream cheese, or even a little peanut butter.
Storing and Freezing Cornbread
- Storage: Allow the cornbread to cool completely to room temperature, then wrap tightly with plastic wrap or transfer it to an airtight plastic bag. Once wrapped, transfer the cornbread to the refrigerator for up to one week.
- Freezing: For long-term storage, wrap the cornbread in plastic wrap and transfer it to a ziplock bag, removing as much air as possible. Thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
- Reheating: For best results, reheat in the oven. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and heat the cornbread for about 10-15 minutes. Cover it with aluminum foil during reheating to prevent it from drying out.
More Quick Bread Recipes
- Lemon Poppy Seed Bread Recipe
- Banana Bread Recipe: How to Make Banana Bread
- Cheesy Zucchini Bread (Quick Bread)
- Apple Cinnamon Bread
- Easy Cornbread Recipe
If you try making this Sweet Cornbread Recipe, please leave me a comment and let me know! I always love to hear your thoughts.
Sweet Cornbread Recipe
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a 9×9-inch pan.
- Whisk the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, honey, and butter together until combined. Then, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold together until just combined.
- Allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes, then pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let it cool for 20-30 minutes before slicing and serving with butter and honey if desired.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)