This Broccoli Cauliflower Soup is made with simple, delicious ingredients like broccoli, cauliflower, bacon, and cheddar cheese. Quick and easy to make, it’s packed with vitamins and minerals–the perfect winter soup recipe!
Roasted Broccoli Cauliflower Soup Recipe
A fusion of two of my favorite soup recipes – creamy cauliflower and creamy broccoli soup – this fantastic recipe is made with roasted broccoli and roasted cauliflower for extra flavor, bacon, and cheese. Free from heavy cream and cups (and cups) of cheese, it’s healthier than your classic broccoli cheddar soup but just as delicious with lots of room for simple modifications. Feel free to customize it with extra cheese, a splash (or more!) of cream, blend it completely or leave it a little chunky. How you enjoy this hearty, veggie-filled soup is entirely up to you!
How to Make Broccoli Cauliflower Soup
Start by heating your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. If you prefer not to roast your cauliflower and broccoli, skip this step and add the cauliflower and broccoli mid-way through cooking the onion. Line two large baking sheets with foil. Chop the cauliflower into small florets and toss with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread evenly over each baking tray and roast for 20-25 minutes. Repeat the process with your broccoli.
As the broccoli and cauliflower are roasting, cook the chopped bacon in a large pot or Dutch oven set over medium heat. Transfer the cooked bacon to a plate and drain all but 1-2 tablespoons of bacon fat.
Sauté the onions in the bacon grease for 5-7 minutes, or until softened. Add the garlic, cayenne powder, and chopped potato, and cook for another minute. Then add 7-8 cups of chicken broth or vegetable broth to the pot.
Once the broccoli and cauliflower have finished roasting, set aside about one-third, meanwhile, add the remaining two-thirds to the soup. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce to low. Let the soup simmer for about 20 minutes.
Ladle the soup into a blender and blend until smooth or use an immersion blender to blend the soup directly in the pot.
Take the remaining roasted broccoli and cauliflower and chop in a small food processor or regular blender (or do this by hand with a large knife). Add the shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or your cheese of choice) to the pot. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and crumbled bacon pieces as desired.
Storage and Leftovers
Keep leftovers stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat leftovers over medium heat on the stovetop or in the microwave at 30-second increments until heated through.
How to Serve
Serve this broccoli cauliflower soup garnished with homemade croutons, extra cheese, a dash of hot sauce, and bacon! Serve with buttery toasted bread or dinner rolls – perfect for dipping into your thick and delicious veggie-filled soup.
More Soup Recipes
If you try making this Broccoli Cauliflower Soup Recipe, please leave me a comment and let me know! I always love to hear your thoughts.
Broccoli Cauliflower Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large heads cauliflower - cut into small florets
- 2 large heads broccoli - cut into small florets
- salt + pepper - to taste
- 4 thick-cut slices of bacon - cut into small pieces
- 2 yellow onions - chopped
- 5 cloves garlic - minced
- ½ teaspoon cayenne powder - optional
- 1 small russet potato - cubed
- 7 cups chicken or vegetable broth - start with less, add more if necessary
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese - or cheese of choice, shredded (plus more for serving)
- Freshly ground black pepper - for serving
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Spray two large baking sheets with non-stick cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl, toss the cauliflower with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Spread the cauliflower evenly over the two baking sheets. Roast for 20-25 minutes, or until fork tender and browning on top. Swap racks halfway during roasting for even cooking. Once the cauliflower is done, repeat the same process with the broccoli. Remove and set aside approximately one-third of the roasted broccoli and cauliflower in a separate bowl.
- Meanwhile, as the broccoli and cauliflower are roasting, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a large Dutch oven or stock pot. Add the bacon and cook over medium heat until it is cooked and crispy. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked bacon pieces to a plate lined with a paper towel. Drain off all but 1-2 tablespoons of bacon fat.
- In the same pot over medium-high heat, add the chopped onions. Stir and cook for approximately 5-7 minutes. Stir in the garlic, cayenne powder, and chopped potato, and cook for one minute more. Pour in the chicken or vegetable broth along with the remaining roasted cauliflower and broccoli and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for approximately 20 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into a blender and blend until smooth or use an immersion blender to blend the soup directly in the pot (an immersion blender is easier and faster). Roughly chop the set-aside broccoli and cauliflower. Return to the soup with the cheese and bacon (or save the bacon as a garnish for serving). Mix well to combine. Season with additional salt and black pepper, to taste. Serve hot.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)