As I’ve mentioned in previous posts, my child is pure carnivore. This has made my job as his primary provider of all nourishment (other than chunks of animal flesh) very challenging. He has made it very clear that he wants nothing to do with bread (with exception for the occasional pizza crust) and has never been offered the delicious emptiness of white bread, so I’m not sure how he would feel about that. As I was thinking of an alternative to bread, the obvious came to me- tortillas! My sweet little meat eater has shown interest in tortillas and plain cheese quesadillas in the past, so I have no idea why I hadn’t thought to use tortillas more often.
Today, I wanted to make a quesadilla that pushed the limits of his toddler taste-buds. I tried to think of additions that would be both delicious and healthy. He loves cheese and onions, so those were no-brainers. We had some hummus that needed to be eaten, so I thought, why not? It would add a little fiber and protein (and salt). Finally, avocado. There had to be avocado. Mostly because I really wanted the avocado, but also because it’s suppose to be a super food (and my child needed some super food).
And just like that, lunch was born. Simple enough for the kids, but wild just enough for the adults.
Hummus, Avocado and Cheese QuesadillasPrint Recipe Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
- 4 flour tortillas - Large, or whole wheat tortillas
- 1/2 cup plain hummus - I didn't want to go too crazy on the kid; you can always give it a little kick with a pinch of cumin
- 1/2 large red onion - sliced
- 1 cup jack cheese - shredded
- 1 large avocado - sliced
- Spread out tortillas on a large baking sheet or piece of parchment paper.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of the hummus onto each tortilla, making sure to cover the entire surface.
- Evenly divide the onions slices, shredded cheese and sliced avocado between the four quesadillas. Arrange each of the ingredients on one half of the tortilla only.
So, did Octavian eat any of it? Yes! I can never get him to eat hummus or avocado plain, but he loved it all mixed together. He even swallowed some of the tortilla!