Asian Garlic Noodles is a quick and easy 20-minute noodle stir-fry that’s made using your favorite noodles in a delicious sauce made with garlic, butter, soy sauce, and parmesan cheese. Perfect for anyone who loves garlic!
Easy Asian Garlic Noodles Recipe
There is so much joy and comfort found in a bowl filled with carbs and sauce. All foods, and food combinations, are great, but slurping up noodles swimming in a salty garlic-buttery sauce is really high up on the list. If you’ve never tried anything like these Asian garlic noodles before, you may be wondering how ingredients like butter, soy sauce, parmesan cheese, and plenty of fresh garlic could possibly come together to actually make something that tastes great. I may not have a scientific answer for you guys, but I’m going to guess it has a lot to do with our love for salty, sweet, and umami flavors which really shine within this recipe.
Also, it’s super quick and easy to make which, for some reason, helps make food taste better. Enjoy it for lunch, dinner, or as a late-night snack. Add some protein – chicken, tofu, shrimp, or drippy fried eggs. Or don’t because these Asian garlic noodles really are so good just as they are.
This is not a low-sodium recipe and it is meant to taste quite garlicky. Please modify the total amount of soy sauce or garlic if you prefer a more mild sauce.
How to Make Asian Garlic Noodles
Start by gathering the ingredients. Next, boil a large pot of water to cook your noodles. Some noodles cook quite quickly while others may take up to 8-10 minutes. Check the package directions before getting started so that you can plan accordingly.
As the water comes to a boil, I will usually combine all of the ingredients for the sauce (oyster sauce, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, fish sauce, Worcestershire sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, and white pepper) in a small bowl. Next, I peel and mince the garlic, grate the parmesan cheese, and chop the green onions.
If you haven’t already, start boiling your noodles. Before draining, reserve a cup of boiling noodle/pasta water. Drain and rinse with cool water.
Now, set a large skillet over medium heat. Melt the butter and add the garlic. Cook for 30 seconds or so, or until the garlic is fragrant and golden (not burnt). Pour in the prepared sauce and bring to a simmer. Immediately add the noodles, remove from heat, sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese, and mix well to combine the noodles with the sauce.
Garnish with red chili flakes, chopped green onions, grated parmesan cheese, and sesame seeds.
- I used soba noodles for this recipe. Feel free to use any type of noodle or pasta (including spaghetti noodles). Cook just until al dente so that they don’t become soggy and remember that not all noodles or pasta require the same amount of cooking time.
- Fresh garlic is the way to go for this recipe, but pre-minced garlic will work if that’s all you have. Use approximately 1 teaspoon of minced garlic per clove of fresh.
- To thicken the sauce, add some of the reserved noodle water until the desired consistency is reached. If your sauce is too thick, add some water, veggie broth, or chicken stock.
What to Serve with Asian Garlic Noodles?
Have you tried making this Asian Garlic Noodles Recipe?
Tell me about it in the comments below! I always love to hear your thoughts. And tag me #theforkedspoon on Instagram if you’ve made any of my recipes, I always love to see what you’re cooking in the kitchen.
Asian Garlic Noodles
- 8-10 ounces Asian style noodles (see notes)
- 2 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce ((optional
- 2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 cloves fresh garlic (minced`)
- ⅓ cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
- ¼ cup green onions
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes (optional)
- sesame seeds (to garnish
- Cook noodles or pasta to al dente according to package instructions (cooking time will vary). When the noodles are soft, reserve 1 cup of the boiling noodle water and strain. Rinse the pasta with cold water. Set aside.
- Combine the oyster sauce, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, fish sauce, Worcestershire sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, and white pepper in a small bowl. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant – approximately 30-60 seconds. Add the prepared sauce to the garlic butter and mix well to combine. Bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add the cooked noodles to the simmering sauce. Gently toss to combine. Remove from heat.
- To thicken the sauce, add some of the reserved noodle water until desired consistency is reached. If the sauce becomes too thick, add some water, vegetable broth, or chicken broth, as needed.
- Sprinkle with the grated parmesan cheese, green onions, and red chili flakes. Gently mix to combine.
- Best served immediately.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.)